Carbonating question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pintocb

Reaction score
I did a quick search and didn't see an answer to this question. If its been dealt with in the past my apologies.

I bottled a Witte about five weeks ago. I used some 1 litre and some 2 litre bottles. Racked the beer from secondary into a bottling bucket on top of my priming solution.

My question:

Does it take longer for a larger bottle to carbonate?

My 1L bottles are great, but the 2L bottles are a bit flat.

Thanks!

Cb

i dont think it should take longer cuz the ratio od sugar to 1 liter is the same to the 2 liter bottle...but if u say it tastes flat let it sit a bit longer

1L and 2L plastic coke bottles.

Kidding.

The 1L are from a Hefe I bought a few months ago.....can't remember the brand. The 2L are from Sweetwater, a local Georgia brewery. Both sizes are swing tops.

I've noticed that my pints and bombers take longer than my 12 ouncers...I've always thought that even though the the ratio is the same, the volume of space that it has to fill and then reabsorb back into the beer is larger.

We're dealing with living yeasts after all, they can only chew on so much sugar at a given time...It's not like we're force carbing with the sameratio of co2...We're giving a bunch more food to living creatures...I dunno...I've just noticed it takes longer when I use bigger bottles...

Thanks for the replies. To clear things up I had my sizes off. Using one litre swing tops from Sweetwater and half litre from Moosebacher (sp?). Makes some sense that the bigger ones might need a bit more time.

Back