Thoughts on this Holiday Ale?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cpbergie

Reaction score
Im making this tomorrow. Any thoughts/suggestions?

Starting Gravity: 1.090 SG Batch Size: 5.50 gal Final Gravity: 1.024 SG

Hops Used
0.90 oz Warrior [15.00 %] (60 min) Hops 50.4 IBU
Grains Used
17.75 lb Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) Grain 94.67 %
0.75 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L (80.0 SRM) Grain 4.00 %
0.25 lb Black (Patent) Malt (500.0 SRM) Grain 1.33 %
Other Ingredients Used
1/8 tsp Allspice (Boil 1.0 min) Misc
1/8 tsp Nutmeg (Boil 1.0 min) Misc
0.25 tsp Ginger (Boil 1.0 min) Misc
0.50 tsp Cinnamon (Boil 1.0 min) Misc
1.00 items Vanilla Bean (Boil 1.0 min) Misc

Yeast Used
London Ale (White Labs #WLP013) [Starter 1000 ml]

I just brewed this, looks like Jamil's recipe, no?
The only thing I added was some Special B malt to add some dark fruit/raisin character. Not done yet, so I can't comment on how it turns out. But it looks good to me.

Yeah, it is Jamil's. Ive never done spices and was wondering how much they will add. I dont want alot of spice, but if there is no spice, its kind of a boring beer.

cpbergie said:
Yeah, it is Jamil's. Ive never done spices and was wondering how much they will add. I dont want alot of spice, but if there is no spice, its kind of a boring beer.

I think he's pretty conservative/style-accurate so it probably won't be too spicy. I'd stick to the recipe and then adjust with a 'spice tea' in secondary if it doesn't seem interesting enough. Spices will mellow a bit over time, so adjust accordingly. If you want it long term, add a bit more. If you plan on drinking it all this season go lighter.

There wasnt much spice aroma now that fermentation is done. Im am thinking about adding 1/2 the amount of the original spices.

Would suggest that I just boil a cup or so of water and add the spices at the very end, cool and add to the secondary?

Landhoney, how is yours looking?

I tasted from the hydrometer tube, its tasted good, but i barely noticed the spices.

Maye ill wait until right before i keg.

Back