Question on spices in beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StarCityBrewMaster

Reaction score
I'm brewing a Belgian Dark Strong Ale With Abbey Ale yeast as a winter warmer/Christmas ale and I'd like to add some Allspice to it to bring out the holiday flavors. At the same time I don't want to ruin $90 of ingredients by over spicing the beer.

I brew 12 gallons at a time and I'm curious if there's a general rule of thumb on how to get a subtle yet noticeable taste from the spices without making it cloying.

I'm thinking of 1/2 tsp to 1 full tsp??

I think you'd need more than that.

I just brewed a 3 gal winter warmer and used 1/2 tsp each of all spice, cinnamon, nutmeg, and clove. The sample I tasted had a very nice subtle undertone of spice - I think it was just the right amount.

Good luck!

I'd do secondary. you'll get better flavor and can add a little at a time then. I'd recommend 1/4 tsp. per 5 gallons. But again, start lower and see what you get.

I used 1 tablespoon of whole crushed allspice berries, 0.5 oz fresh ginger, and 2 cinnamon sticks in a 5.5 gallon batch of winter warmer I just brewed. I added the spices in the last 5 minutes of the boil and took them out while I was chilling. It's still in the fermentor but the pre-pitch hydro sample tasted great and not too spiced. I read up on how much allspice to add and that seemed like a good average of what people said.

If you're going to secondary with the allspice I have heard people say to steep the spices in hot water or vodka and pour that in a secondary or even at bottling. I'm not sure of the amount because I've never done it personally.

Back