Post your Techniques for Force Carbonating Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gavball6

Reaction score
Looking for some help on this... I know most people try to force carbonate their stouts to a low volume level (~1.2 volumes) before moving it onto beergas to push through their stout faucets...

I would like to force carb in my keezer at about 38-40 degrees, but the carbonation charts don't go that low. I assume most people set the CO2 to a low PSI and only force carb for a few days instead of a week or so, but would love to hear everyone's techniques for this...

I let mine go over night at 30 psi and then switched it to beer gas the next day. In retrospect, I never got the serving pressure just right. But the carbonation was almost perfect.

I let mine go over night at 30 psi and then switched it to beer gas the next day. In retrospect, I never got the serving pressure just right. But the carbonation was almost perfect.

Thanks Double_D... What issues did you have when serving? Too foamy coming through the stout faucet... Too flat?

Just curious.

Thanks Double_D... What issues did you have when serving? Too foamy coming through the stout faucet... Too flat?

Just curious.

I do pretty much what Double_D does. Most of my beers, the first pour is always foamy. I chalk that up to an uncooled tower. I have, however, never been able to get my nitro line to pour nicely. Not sure if I need to balance the line better? I've jacked up the psi, dropped the psi, nothing seems to make a difference.

I think my line was too short. But I was dispensing at about 25 psi. It had too much head for the first couple glasses. Other than that the style is nearly flat anyway. So that's not an issue since it would equilibrate with the gas eventually.

Back