A question about full size fridge conversion.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnny27

Reaction score
So the other day my beautiful perlick kegerator decided she was done.:( Compressor is shot, which is horrible timing because I had eight full kegs ready to go and we are having a massive graduation party for my wife this weekend; having family and friends from all over the US coming down. So I searched on craigslist and found a somewhat older fridge to use as a temporary kegerator for cheap. My question is; How do you remove the inner door moulding? With the molding out I can fit six of my kegs in there(instead of five), I searched on this forum, but couldn't find anything relevant. I assume im not using the right terminology for the search.
I figure worst case senario is I can take my saws-all and cut off most of it of. But if any of you wise sages know of a slightly cleaner more efficient way of doing it, that would be awesome!

Thanks for reading and any input you might have,
Jon

Usually, the door liner is held in place with screws. They are typically concealed by the door gasket. Curl up the edge and you should see them. Now then, when you remove the liner, you there won't be anything to attach the gasket to. I did this mod and used a piece of a vinyl panel to replace the plastic liner and provide something to hold the gasket in place. You could use some of the stuff they sell at Home Depot to line shower stalls/bath tub walls. It's relatively cheap and easy to cut. I would avoid using anything wooden as it will be difficult to keep clean and may harbor mold etc. I scrounged the vinyl panel I used and I don't know where you can buy it, so that's probably not a practical option.

Ah-ha!! You are correct! When I originally looked I lifted up the molding and didn't see anything, however, Upon a second look, I see its behind the moulding, it looks like i have to remove the moulding first, then i can get access to the screws. thanks!!

Jon

sometimes the manufacturers use plastic fasteners that resemble short nails, that have to be pried out and aren't usually reusable. i did one once and replaced them with stainless screws, which worked just fine.

I just took a dremel and cut the moulding back as far as I could...the fridge is pretty old and I felt if I took the seal off that it wouldnt go back on quite as easy.

Plus I got to play with power tools :)

Back