Frustrated with my faucets

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Airborneguy

Retired and Brewing
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
My faucets are always getting stuck, like He-Man strength required to open stuck, and I am fed up with it. I'm fairly new to kegging and faucets, so what are my best options? Upgraded faucets? Is it something in the way kegging is done? I have the standard faucets that come with the Kegconnection.com kit.

Perlicks, perlicks, perlicks. You will thank me. Forward sealing faucets rule!

never had a sticky faucet. go with the perlicks. I have the 525ss, which is the newer design. There is a 425 which has a screw off nozzle for whatever reason. If you need a creamer function there is the 575.

I got my first Perlick 525 about a month ago after getting fed up with opening the door all the time and using the picnic taps. Im never going to use anything else ever. These things are built to last and so stupid simple to take apart for cleaning/o ring replacement. I love them so much I just bought the rest that I need to fill up my fridge door in the group buy.

Wait Just a Minute~!!!!!

Isn't that an Airborne emblem you got on your avatar?
You are a freaking super hero~!! You are not supposed to even notice that things need some muscle to work.

All kidding aside:
Thank you for your service.

Ya might try taking 'em totally apart and cleaning 'em before you replace them. Dirt and grime gets into the damnedest places.
If you do replace 'em get the Perlicks the others are recommending.

Pulled two standard faucets off the wall and replaced them with the perlicks. I really do love em......... they work as stated. As for the 2 I removed...... Making a picnic cooler box with 2 faucets for summer time parties.

Salute! :mug:

lol... thanks Cliff. 10th SFG(A)!

These are fairly new, so I'm thinking I'm gonna replace them if I am having problems already. I literally had to lean my body weight into it yesterday to pour a pale ale!

My Kenmore keggerator came with the standard taps. Any length of time over a few days required taking them off (PIA) and soaking them in soap solution. Replaced with Perlicks. Never a problem after that.

i have the basic taps as couldn't justify the price of perlicks.
when i am done for the night i spray starsan into each tap until it runs out the little "button" above the spout.
no sticking problems since i started doing that.

Is less sticking and ease of cleaning the main attraction of forward-sealing perlicks? I am pretty new to kegging and have old style faucets. They have worked fine for me thus far. I did spring for some perlicks in the group buy mainly b/c they will look better being brand new. I am just wondering what the performance raves are about.

lol... thanks Cliff. 10th SFG(A)!

There nuthin' like the Green Beret. You guys are the shizz~!!

These are fairly new,
eek
I literally had to lean my body weight into it yesterday to pour a pale ale!

If you can send 'em back then, yah do it right away. Otherwise, I'd not be able to resist the urge to take 'em apart and see what is what.

Is less sticking and ease of cleaning the main attraction of forward-sealing perlicks? I am pretty new to kegging and have old style faucets. They have worked fine for me thus far. I did spring for some perlicks in the group buy mainly b/c they will look better being brand new. I am just wondering what the performance raves are about.

Yup, easier cleaning/operation is the reason.

Which ones though? I was just looking at the two on Austinhomebrew. What's the difference?

425SS - Two piece model, the spout unscrews for cleaning/maintenance.

525SS - One piece version of the 425. Operation is identical, spout does not unscrew. I see no downside to this, as they still easily disassemble for easy cleaning. Only advantage of the 425 I see is that you can remove the spout and replace with a different spout, (narrower, some prefer, or special growler filling thingie).

575SS- Creamer model. identical to the 525SS, except when you push BACK on the handle, it dispenses foam. I see no advantage in this over the 525, as you can just pull the 525 handle forward slightly to crack open the valve and get the same result.

My standard faucets will be stuck if I don't pull them every day. I generally end up pulling an ounce or two off of each tap before I go to bed if I haven't used them during the day. If I know I'll be gone for a few days then I'll disconnect the kegs and purge the lines so I can leave the handles in the open position.

I just ordered four 525SS during the Perlick group buy and can't wait to get them. Not only will I not have to deal with the stuck faucets again, I will be expanding my keezer from 2 to 4 taps :mug:

Back