Accidentally Lagered my Ale?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cheezydemon

Reaction score
I acquired another fridge, so I put my last batch of bottled Ale in the fridge.

Over a month, the flavor from the crystal malt has significantly diminished and it actually doesn't taste as good.

Is it possible that the flavor dropped out of suspension?

It was in primary for 3 weeks, secondary, for a month, bottled warm for 10 days, transferred to fridge at day 10 in the bottle,now at day 37 in the bottle.

Bottles that were just cooled tasted fantastic from day 10 (after bottling) until about day 20. Since then they have been good, but less good.

I also find that the flavor of my homebrew is everchanging. After a month in a chilled keg the brew is usually smoother w/ less "fresh" bite. Some beers need this additional time to tone down, and some are tastier whenthey are a bit younger. Heavier more hoppy brews usually benifit from additional time whereas a lighter more moderately hopped ale would peak earlier.

Good luck in your quest for the perfect pint.

It could be just the temp. Take one out, let it sit for ten minutes and then taste it. I often find that a good homebrew ale right out of the fridge will be too cold and need to warm up a bit to "wake-up" the flavor a bit.

-Todd

Back