The Inaugural 2007 Lobuck Challenge

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sir Humpsalot

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Ok. I've spent this past week dealing with a lot of personal issues and in that time, I have taken everyone's suggestions to heart. I believe everyone will be excited by the free-form nature of this challenge and hope it inspire lots of creativity. There are only two rules.

My goal for the upcoming week is to come up with a submission sheet for each Lobuck Challenge participant to fill out which will ask for all the required info about your beer.

By the end of the next week, I hope Brewpastor and I will have come up with some sort of general judging guidelines and can come to some agreement about how to weight the various considerations- taste, cost, etc. I don't think this part will be too difficult.

So, with all this said, consider the Inaugural 2007 Lobuck Challenge officially opened!!!!! This is the official thtread for all questions and for anyone wishing to collaborate on recipes....

Here are the details:

THE 2007 LOBUCK HOMEBREW CHALLENGE
A competition open to all homebrewers

The Concept
The goal of this contest is to motivate creative brewers to develop recipes which result in the best possible beer without excessive use of expensive ingredients. The objectives of this competition are three-fold: First, encourage the development of some unusual, interesting, and tasty low(ish)-alcohol beers; Second, challenge brewers to experiment with alternative ingredients both for flavor and for use as fermentables; and Third, to further the knowledge of HBT members by publishing the recipes and critiques thereof in order to encourage further experimentation.

For this inaugural event, we are keeping it low-key, free form, and just putting this out as a challenge to intrepid brewers. As we see what you, the brewer, comes up with, we will adjust the rules and categories to suit the “state of the art”. But, for now, it’s just a fun challenge, open to one and all.

There is a soft dollar limit set for this competition. If you truly feel it's not possible to make a good tasting beer for anything near the prices below (and you may be right), then you are encouraged to spend a bit more. After all is said and done, this contest is about good beer, not cheaply fermented prison beer. So, if you overspend, but still have the cheapest beer of those that taste good, then you will be the winner. Nevertheless, to give people a target to shoot for, the targets will be set as follows:
$2.07 per gallon of beer made from extract
$1.80 per gallon made from a partial mash recipe
$1.35 per gallon made from all grain

If you go over the limit, points will be deducted. If you go below it, points will be added, but the most important thing is to produce a tasty final product. (Note: the limit does not include the cost of priming sugar.)

The Contest
Homebrewers will create a recipe using the following ingredients available to homebrewers: Grains, Adjuncts/Flavoring, Hops, and Yeast. The brewer must submit a copy of the recipe and a drinkable sample (1 - 12oz or larger bottle) to each of the judges for adjudication. Judging will not be based upon style, but will be based upon recipe price, alcohol content, and taste. Beer of any style may be entered, but entries are limited to BEER. Ciders, meads, wines, and/or other spirits are not eligible.

If enough entries are provided, at the judge’s discretion, sub-categories will be created in order to highlight more popular categories. These categories may be based upon brew style (AG, PM, or extract), beer style (lager, ale, etc), types of adjuncts, or any other division which serves to highlight the differences and similarities of the beers within the competition.

DEADLINE:
Judging will commence on May 1, 2007. All entries must be received by this time.

Selecting a Winner:
The judges will select the homebrew which the judges deem to be the best beer, both in flavor and in adherence to the rules and judging guidelines (to be determined by the judges). There will be no style guidelines. Every beer, whether it’s an experimental, American lager, IPA, stout, ESB, etc will be judged against all other beers. Consideration will be primarily given to the brewer’s skill at producing something that tastes most like a commercially-produced brew of any type.

The Rules

1. Pricing. The brewer may buy his ingredients from any supplier and the actual price paid for these supplies is irrelevant. Your ingredient price is to be computed as the lowest cost charged by MoreBeer.com, NorthernBrewer.com, Austinhomebrewsupply.com, morehops.com, or Peapod.com, not including shipping or taxes.

In the event that none of these sites have the ingredient you wish to use, you may either contact the judges for a ruling as to the “market price” of the item, or state the price paid, which may be accepted or modified by the judges at the time of adjudication.

All ingredients, regardless of source, will be deemed to have been purchased at the regular advertised price (No sale prices).

2. Quantities.
a. Extract. For Extract and Partial Mash Brewers, standard malts (DME or
LME) will be priced on the assumption that you are purchasing 25 pounds.
b. Grain. For All-Grain brewers, standard malts will be priced on the assumption that you are buying a 55lb bag.
c. Specialty grains. Specialty Grains will be priced by the pound.
d. Hops. All hops will be priced by the pound.
e. Other. Other ingredients (Irish moss, clarifying agent, etc) priced at the non-bulk pricing from the specified online retailers.
f. Priming sugar. Priming sugar is free, as long as it's only added at bottling time and is in a quantity considered to be “typical” for priming.
g. Water. Water is a “free” ingredient. The brewer has the choice of using tap water, or else filtered water costing under $1.00 per gallon. Because water quality varies significantly, the purpose of this rule is to permit people living in locations with awful water to compete on a level playing field. Any use of mineral water, flavored water, or spring water that does not normally come out of the tap will require the brewer to include the entire cost of the water in his cost computation.
h. Yeast. The cost of the yeast shall be computed as per rule #1 except the cost of the yeast will then be divided by three to account for the possibility of repitching the yeast cake a time or two.
i. Time and Effort. No costs will be associated for any equipment/time/etc.

Sounds neat, but at 1.35 per gallon, I would not be able to brew a beer that I would drink.

My Haus Pale ale costs me $16.42 for 5 gallons and that is grain, hops, & yeast. That's pretty cheap for a session beer that is 4.5% abv, but it is over $3.00 a gallon.

At $1.35 a gallon, I don't think I would waste my time brewing some light stuff to qualify. Even at bulk prices, it's hard to qualify for stuff I would drink.

Just my two cents.

Well, Ed, the $1.35 is a soft limit. If you truly feel it's not possible to make a good tasting beer for anything near that price, then you can certainly submit your Haus Pale.

This contest, as someone else so eloquently stated, is not about who can ferment the cheapest alcohol, but who can make a good/great tasting beer for the lowest price. Truth be told, the limits are almost irrelevent. They're there to give people something to shoot for. If you really feel it's impossible to make a good tasting beer anywhere near that price point (and you may be right), then it may still win.

But, alas, that is why this is called a "challenge". :mug:

orfy said:
Go on. Explain. Lawnmower?

The setting: Summertime, 103 degrees in the shade. A huge lawn, freshly mowed. An exhausted man, sick and tired of slaving over the lawn on 103 degree weekend days, needing a break. Tired of his wife nagging him and dripping in sweat he says to himself, "screw the old hag... I want a nice refreshing beer to enjoy while I lay here in this hammock underneath this oak tree and enjoy the shade..."

A "lawnmower beer" is the beer you would choose. Light, easy drinking, not too high in alcohol (because you're gonna want more than one)...

How does this bulk pricing of malt work? I can't find a bulk price (25lb.) of malt extract on midwest or austinhomebrew. They have 20lb., but its not much cheaper at all than just buying 3.3lb or whatever the normal 'serving size' is...

Anyway, this is definitely a challenge... The cheapest malt I found in about 30 mins of messing around was 3.3lb. for $8.50 ($2.57lb. of malt). If your recipe has 4 lb. malt (and that would be a 1.033-1.038ish beer), you are looking at a cost of $2.06 per gallon just for the malt! That's not including hops (80c per oz. bulk), yeast, and any adjuncts that may make the recipe unique...

It's definitely an interesting challenge and $2.50-3 is probably doable for extract (in a very light beer), but I don't know...

25 lbs. of millet at the feed store = $4.95 Maybe its time I try to make millet/barley beer or a full on gluten-free millet beer. This will truly be a challenge but a fun one at that.

runhard -

This is per wikipedia:

Millets are traditionally important grains used in brewing beer in some cultures, for instance by the Tao people of Orchid Island and, along with sorghum, by various peoples in East Africa.

Some research on those peoples may yield some interesting information for you. I don't do all-grain, so millet is pretty much out for me. :/

Hey SilkyBrew,
Locating malted millet in the US is proving to be difficult so far but that might change. The reason I thought of doing a barley/unmalted millet beer is that a recipe I heard about on a Graham Sanders podcast was very intriguing. He said that it provided a whipped eggwhite type of head with lace work on the glass as if Belgian candy sugar had been added. I just thought that if I could use the enzymatic power of a good 6-row with most of the grain bill being unmalted millet and see if I can make a good beer. Might work; it will be a fun experiment once the ice melts here in central TX. Yup, that's right, we got an 1/8 inch ice and the entire town seems to have shut down. Seriously though, remember those who are in Oklahoma, Missouri, and other states that have been slamed by the ice storms.

I take it any sanitizing agents are also free? I think might give this a whirl....deadline is May 1..........so I'd have to brew the 2nd half of March.

flake corn is an adjunct. What is the base price list going to be?

For example, I can get a 50# bag of domestic 2-row from a local brewery for $20. That is 40 cents a pound. That means I could use 2# per gallon and still have 55 cents per gallon for hops and yeast. Thats 10 pounds in 5 gallons which is an easy 1.054. For $2.75 I can get enough hops and yeast to round it out. BUT all of this is based on BREWERY pricing, not LHBS pricing.

SO, what willour standard be?

uwmgdman said:
I take it any sanitizing agents are also free? I think might give this a whirl....deadline is May 1..........so I'd have to brew the 2nd half of March.

Yes, sanitizing agents are free. sometimes I still use bleach. ;)

SilkkyBrew said:
How does this bulk pricing of malt work? I can't find a bulk price (25lb.) of malt extract on midwest or austinhomebrew. They have 20lb., but its not much cheaper at all than just buying 3.3lb or whatever the normal 'serving size' is...

You can use a size UP TO 25lbs. If you can find 20lb or 10lb or whatever, use that pricing. If I'm not mistaken though, somebody had a 25 pounder.

Anyway, this is definitely a challenge... The cheapest malt I found in about 30 mins of messing around was 3.3lb. for $8.50 ($2.57lb. of malt). If your recipe has 4 lb. malt (and that would be a 1.033-1.038ish beer), you are looking at a cost of $2.06 per gallon just for the malt! That's not including hops (80c per oz. bulk), yeast, and any adjuncts that may make the recipe unique...

It's definitely an interesting challenge and $2.50-3 is probably doable for extract (in a very light beer), but I don't know...

Yep. You gotta mess around with other ways of getting some fermentables.

I am going to brew one myself, just to follow the competition in spirit, but I sure ain't brewing 5 gallons of it!!! :p

I have little half gallon growlers which will be perfect for these experimental batches.

Brewpastor said:
flake corn is an adjunct. What is the base price list going to be?

For example, I can get a 50# bag of domestic 2-row from a local brewery for $20. That is 40 cents a pound. That means I could use 2# per gallon and still have 55 cents per gallon for hops and yeast. Thats 10 pounds in 5 gallons which is an easy 1.054. For $2.75 I can get enough hops and yeast to round it out. BUT all of this is based on BREWERY pricing, not LHBS pricing.

SO, what willour standard be?

BP- give me this week to finish the entry form which will kind of show people how to calculate pricing and the way in which we will anonymize the entries (basically your b-day, followed by your zip, followed by any 4 digit number you choose or something like that).

I meant we'd do the standards next week... Having real work nowadays, I can't knock things out like I used to... but generally I'm thinking the criteria are taste and cost. And I think cost should be 30% and taste should be 70%. From there, we can further define taste based upon criteria such as "similarity to a commercial beer or beer style", etc.

On the taste front, I was thinking a simple evaluation form that focused on Appearance, Aroma, Flavor and Drinkability would be enough. I am still working on a form to help the judges record and to some degree measure their impressions. I too have tons of work, but will get that finished soon. Thanks for all your work on this and I hope you are recovering well.

Brewpastor said:
On the taste front, I was thinking a simple evaluation form that focused on Appearance, Aroma, Flavor and Drinkability would be enough. I am still working on a form to help the judges record and to some degree measure their impressions. I too have tons of work, but will get that finished soon. Thanks for all your work on this and I hope you are recovering well.

Thanks. I will respond to this once I've thought about it some more. I'm not ignoring you, just don't want to put my foot in my mouth. Overall, I'd be perfectly happy if you took the lead on developing the criteria and I'll just throw in my $0.02 wherever applicable.

Back