kegging my beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

autoferret

Reaction score
OK...

I'm getting ready to get my system. What is the best way to force carbonate the keg.

I've been reading alot about it. I just dont want to for lack of a better term. **** this up.

So from what i've been reading is this the correct way to do this.

I know that i sanitize the crap out of everything.

Put the beer into the keg.
PUt the keg into the fridge to chill the beer.
Pressurize the keg to 30PSI and shake the crap out of it and then put it back into the fridge.

Then 2 days later let all of the pressure out of the keg and pressurize system to a low PSI (2-4PSI) so it comes out of the keg at the right rate.

Any help on this will be greatly apprteated.

nick

Better method is to attach gas to the keg at ~12PSI and leave it in the fridge under that pressure for a week or so.

The shaking under 30 lbs is good if you are in a big hurry. But you can easily overcarbonate. You can have better luck if you shake it under 12 PSI because it won't overcarbonate but it still accelerates the process.

I leave mine on 12 PSI for serving, but my tap lines are long and rise 4 feet or so.

Don't over-worry. You really can't screw it up too much. It'll be too foamy or not foamy enough, both of which you can adjust.

Cheers :D

Back