Going back to 5 gallons.......

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GilaMinumBeer

Half-fast Prattlarian
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Since going AG I have been brewing 10 gallon batches. I always split the batch and try my best to brew a difference between the two. I usually achieve this by pitching different yeast strains and fermenting at differing temperatures but, I have also gone so far as to steep grains on the side to add in the fermenter, add extract or partigyle. I have also tried changing up the dry hops.

All this does provide some subtle difference in the brew but not enough to satiate my desires for variety. I attribute this to the high proprtion of similar grist and to both having the same kettle hops.

So, I have decided that the best way to satisfy myself is to revert back to 5 gallon batches. This is fine and all but, my main reasoning behind the 10 gallon batches was due to time constraints.

Hopefully, that will change and I can have the variety I seek. It'll definitely allow me to get more scenic mileage out of my hop and malt stores.

I've gone back to 5 as well, for the same reasons.

(That and I'm trying to hit 100 batches by the end of '09.)
happy-smiley-8825.gif

My brew kettle limits me to 5 gallon batches, and I'm quite alright with that right now. There are a few recipes that I brew that I could conceivably see myself doing 10 gallon batches, but I'd have to use an adapted German brewing technique of double batch brewing (from a recent Basic Brewing podcast featuring our own Kai)- adding new wort to an already fermenting batch.

find someone else in your area that brews 10 gal batches then split the two. That's what I do with a few other guys.

Back