Beer won't carbonate!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigDaddy

Reaction score
Hey all, I have a beer that won't carbonate. It's in a 5gal. carboy with around 30lbs of pressure for many days. The beer has way to much head but no little bubbles in the beer that we all love so much. I've never seen this before. Does anyone have a suggestion that would help?

I'd say you're already over carbed. Try purging and shaking a few times and then set to serving pressure and see where that gets you.

The beer is in a Corny keg. When i bring the pressure down to aroud 3lbs to serve i get all head then it settles down to liquid. Then there's no carbonation. Could this be over carbonation heckels?

Purge and then reset to between 10-14psi depending on your beer style for your serve pressure.

I force carbonate at 30psi for 48hrs - and then set at 14psi for my serve pressure for3 days to a week. Works well every time for me.

You may have line length issues too.

It sounds overcarbed, with too-short beer lines.

Try longer lines (at least 8 feet) and keep the pressure no higher than 12 psi if the beer is in a cool place. 30 psi at fridge temp= overcarb. What will happen is the co2 is 'knocked' out of solution, so an overcarbed beer will seem flat but with lots of foam and/or heat.

Back