Need help growing yeast from plate.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

krops13

Reaction score
I have a Belgian Trappist yeast on a plate of agar I'm trying for the life of me to get it to propagate. But am have little success. I used a small baby jar (15ml) for my first incubation with a sugar water of 1.030 after sitting for 24 hours I moved it to an 800ml sugar water solution of the same gravity but added yeast nutrient this time. I don't have a stir plate but I toss in an air stone hooked up to an aquarium pump with a sanitary filter in between. It has been 48 hours now and the water has turned brown but when I turn the pump off and let it rest for a few hours I can't see any yeast "cake". Should to be taking this long? I also get this random formation of foam that over flows the my flask a little then disappear for a while. Is this normal?

I usually make a sterile wort from boiling 10 oz of water...5 tbsp of DME (dried malt extract) and throwing in a hop pellet for good measure. (if I have some in the freezer) That's the ratio...you can scale it down for the first small starter...and scale it up for bigger starters...

Cover with foil and sit in a bowl of ice. When the temp drops...cover tightly with saran wrap...and shake the heck out of it to disolve some oxygen.

I sterilize a nichrome loop over a flame...dip in the sterile wort to cool...then pick up a colony of yeast from the dish/slant. Swirl it around in the sterile wort. Put an airlock on it. And come back the next morning. As I pass by I give it a swirl to resuspend and particulates on the bottom. I usually start in a very small flask with about 40 ml of wort...when I get some airlock activity...I repitch in a 200 ml flask... for lagers... I repitch again in a gallon jug half filled with sterile wort.

I don't usually do the airstone. I don't own one of those fancy magnetic stir bar thingy's...but ther're out there if you're interested. I would only use the airstone for 10 or 15 minutes anyway. And take it out. Supposedly, pure oxygen only take 60 seconds to get up to the 12ppm of disolved oxygen that's optimal. (for reference)

When starting with such a low cell count...you have to be patient. I plan on spending 3 days to a week minimum getting my first starter going good from a single colony.

I'm only doing table sugar right now as it is cheap and I can work out the kinks with out wasting dme. I wonder if this is a problem. Also how much can I expect to see on the bottom of my flask. I do all my prep and transfering of cells as asepticly as possible. I have disposable loops as well as a nichrome loop. My main question is do you think only using table sugar is having an effect on the yeast and what am i looking for on the bottom of my flask in terms of yeast?

That could very well be your problem. Plain table sugar doesn't have any nutrients in it. DME does, so try using that.

Back