what are the spices used in root beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cheschire

Reaction score
My buddy INSISTS that I make a batch of root beer beer. I have extract for making soda but I think it would be kinda neat to use real spices. Does anyone know what spices are used? and, How much of each should I use in a 5 gallon batch to get a nice root beer flavour? In my opinion, I dont think root beer and malt would go together but whatever... hes buying this one.

The main flavor comes from Sassafras. Not sure on what the commercial ones use. Incidentally the original root beer had a low alcohol content, so if you can dig up a recipe, it wouldn't have to be a "root beer flavored beer".

CHOW Root Beer

* 1 vanilla bean
* 1 (5-inch) licorice root, broken into pieces
* 3/4 cup chopped dried sarsaparilla root
* 2 tablespoons dried sassafras root bark
* 1 tablespoon chopped dried burdock root
* 1 (3-inch) cinnamon stick
* 3 heads star anise
* 3 quarts distilled water (12 cups)
* 2 cups lightly packed dark brown sugar
* 1 tablespoon molasses
* 2 (1/8-inch-wide) strips of orange zest
* 1/8 teaspoon ale yeast (also called brewer’s yeast)

The biggest problem with making a real root beer is the conflict between the high sweetness in a non-alcoholic root beer and the yeast. I've made root beer by killing the yeast in a light-hybrid, adding extract flavoring, sweetening and kegging. It was good, but WAY too much of it.

yes this is going to be tough.. but I did promise my buddy. Im always up for a challengs. maybe some lactose and malto-dextrin will help. I put those in my last beer a chocolate ale and its waaaaaaaaaay sweeter than any beer Ive made

Modern commercial root beers also tend to use wintergreen as one of the primary flavors. Sassafras isn't allowed in commercial varieties since 1960 unless it's had the safrole(the carcinogenic component) removed, so many use artificial versions now or focus on other flavors.

Back