Getting creative with empty kegerator...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spbrhs07

Reaction score
In the next couple of days I'm going to make a Belgian dark strong ale using Safbrew T58. I think the flavor profile that I want will best be achieved at 58-62F. Since I'm currently out of home brew, I think I'll just ferment it in my empty kegerator. I'm thinking it would be best to stick the temperature probe right in the bucket. I thought maybe I could make a hole in the lid, but what if I just left the lid off and filled the whole thing with CO2? Also wondering about pitching. With my immersion chiller I can get the wort down to about 70F, could I chill in the kegerator overnight to get it down to ~60F and then pitch? Or would it be fine to pitch at 70F before?

I would tape the temp probe to the side of the bucket, then cover the probe with a bit of insulation, paper towels, a wash cloth, anything to buffer the fridge temp and isolate the probe on the side of the bucket.

Finish chilling for a few hours / overnight in your chamber is fine. I would not advise an open bucket, too easy to keep it covered IMO.

Always better IMO to pitch later at the proper temp then to pitch hot sooner.

I'd leave the lid off and put the probe into the wort and then let the fermentation process fill your kegerator with CO2. In effect you are doing an open ferment then but in a clean, closed environment.

My kegerator is not clean inside. I cannot imagine it being sanitary. I assume this is sarcasm

My kegerator is not clean inside. I cannot imagine it being sanitary. I assume this is sarcasm

If your kegerator is so filthy that an open ferment isn't a good idea, clean it. Most places that you can do an open ferment aren't terribly sanitary but they can still work because it takes time for bacteria to build up a colony and the yeast will out compete them. Most bacteria cannot survive in CO2 and the fast ferment will push out lots of it, displacing the oxygen the bacteria need. Of the few that can survive in a CO2 filled environment, most cannot survive in the acidic beer.

Yeah I do clean it from time to time, but usually there is cold beer in it. Occasionally beer spills inside when i remove the liquid lines from the keg. When my pipeline is empty I turn off the kegerator and clean everything.

Alternatively I have a fermentation chamber that I am more diligent about cleaning.

Yeah I do clean it from time to time, but usually there is cold beer in it. Occasionally beer spills inside when i remove the liquid lines from the keg. When my pipeline is empty I turn off the kegerator and clean everything.

Alternatively I have a fermentation chamber that I am more diligent about cleaning.

What? What is this "pipeline is empty" stuff?

How long does it take to remove the kegs and clean up the spills when they happen? That cleanup should be part of your process.

More importantly: get some liquid yeast! Belgian anything (excluding Saison) and dry yeast don't mix.

Back