Interesting brew day. Amber/Red attempt #1

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sddanc

Reaction score
Recipe Type: All Grain
Yeast: California Ale
Yeast Starter: No
Batch Size (Gallons): 5
Boiling Time (Minutes): 75
Color: 13.9

Ingredients:

8 Pounds American 2-Row (80%)
.75 Pound Crystal 60L (7.5%)
.5 Pound Crystal 120L (5%)
.5 Pound Vienna Malt (5%)
.25 Pound Victory Malt (2.5%)

1.0 OZ Columbus (14%) 60 min
1.0 OZ COlumbus (14%) 45 min
1.0 OZ Nugget (15%) 10 min
1.0 OZ Nugget (15%) 1 min
.75 OZ Yakima (cause it was laying around) 1 min
1 OZ Notsureyet dry hop

Mash at 154 for 60 min

Initially the day went swimmingly. Hit my mash temp dead on, guesstimated my sparge volume and hit 6.5 gallons pre-boil dead on. Began the boil and continued till about the 10 minute mark where I immersed my chiller. The temp dropped the wort out of boil. I saw a leak on my chiller so I pulled it out and was fixing it, when I noticed the wort not coming back to a boil. There was about a 5-8 minute span of non-boil. I decided that since my tank was near empty, there wasn't enough gas being fed to effectively heat the kettle. So I put on a new tank and brought it back to a boil when I put the chiller back in. That dropped the temp below boil once again. It took another 3-5 minutes to start boiling again. After it was all said and done, about 15 minutes had passed without a boil. So I boiled for another 15 minutes. Racking into the carboy I yielded a tad under 5 gallons (which I assume was from the longer boil).

-Not sure how the lapse in boil will affect this batch, but next time I hope it works smoother.

Any input towards possible adverse effect from the boil lapse?

Also, hows that recipe look?

It will produce a spectacular result that you will never be able to reproduce. Seriously. Soon after me an an old roomie stated brewing, we brewed a Scotch ale that was to be entered into a competition at a local brewpub. The winner was to be brewed on the big system. Our mash schedule went horrobly wrong. Mashed in at around 100, ramped up to over 170, where it sat for about 30 minutes, then crashed back down to 130ish (too much cold) then reheated the mash back to 158. We won the taste competition, but when the brewer reviewed our process, he went with the brew that won second place. Of all the Scotch ales I've made, I insist that this was the best tasting one. And yes, it did have a good start and finish gravity. Can't explain.

Latest posts

Back