Nanobrewerys selling clones as their own

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Patenting the recipe protects the actual description of the recipe, it does not prevent people from replicating the same dish, following the recipe, etc. Copyright registration protects the creative expression of the author from being co-opted by another. The registration protects the actual words in the recipe; it does not prevent others from following the recipe, even for commercial purposes. Third parties simply could not replicate the language of the copyrighted recipe (without permission) in their own writings, presentations, etc.

sounds unlikely to me, a patent on a recipe. are there examples of this?

A cookbook is a specific artistic expression of a group of recipes and is copyrightable in that configuration. It's not a patent.

Exactly, the exposition, description, illustration, or other elements that accompany the recipe are not the same as the recipe. The recipe itself gets no form of copyright protection, and certainly not anything like patent protection.

And what's this about "masters" of a trade having to know everything that can be known about the subject? No offense to the poster intended, but that's the silliest thing I've read all week.

If we apply this to our own brewhouses: is it possible to exactly replicate our "own" recipes over thou course of multiple batches? My stuff is always slightly
different, (though you automated brewer might have a different experience.)

If we apply this to our own brewhouses: is it possible to exactly replicate our "own" recipes over thou course of multiple batches? My stuff is always slightly
different, (though you automated brewer might have a different experience.)

It certainly is possible - though even the large breweries blend batches to arrive at the right flavor profile. Whenever you're dealing with organic components and organisms doing work on them there will be variation from batch to batch and year to year.

Send me a sample of this "phony". I will be the judge here.

Hell no. You're in Texas, too. I'm a Yankee by birth, Texan by choice. If I took my brisket back to NY, I could probably make a mint on it. Down here, its merely passable.

Hell no. You're in Texas, too. I'm a Yankee by birth, Texan by choice. If I took my brisket back to NY, I could probably make a mint on it. Down here, its merely passable.

Next day leftovers in a tortilla with picante sauce is my favorite.

Shredded brisket, green onions and cheese fritatta in a cast iron skillet for brunch. Washed down with a homebrew.

How many former Mercedes drivers do you see driving Hyundais? Not many.

I'm talking about products of similar quality. I didn't even address pricing.

A more fair comparison would be "How many former Mercedes drivers do you see driving Lexuses?"

If you could get a product with the same taste as Pliny from a different source you wouldn't take advantage of it? Especially if it's not otherwise available to you?

I'm talking about products of similar quality. I didn't even address pricing.

A more fair comparison would be "How many former Mercedes drivers do you see driving Lexuses?"

If you could get a product with the same taste as Pliny from a different source you wouldn't take advantage of it? Especially if it's not otherwise available to you?

And it's not like they would market it as a Pliny clone, but word would spread quick if it really was as good, or even close. -- I would buy it.

I'd be more interested in the Alpha King clone though. I tried those two in a side by side and Alpha was better IMO.

And it's not like they would market it as a Pliny clone, but word would spread quick if it really was as good, or even close. -- I would buy it.

I'd be more interested in the Alpha King clone though. I tried those two in a side by side and Alpha was better IMO.

I don't want to get into a pissing match here. All I'm saying is it's consumer intuition to think easy to get = not as good. A widely distributed Pliny clone won't get the same response as Pliny. To a lot of people, if it doesn't have a release party, it can't be in the upper echelon. Pretty sad.

I don't want to get into a pissing match here. All I'm saying is it's consumer intuition to think easy to get = not as good. A widely distributed Pliny clone won't get the same response as Pliny. To a lot of people, if it doesn't have a release party, it can't be in the upper echelon. Pretty sad.

I agree completely. I was disapointed when I finally got to try Pliny the Elder. I mean it was good...VERY good, but I have a strong feeling if you could buy it on every shelf in the US (or even every state for that matter) it wouldn't get such rave reviews.

You're absolutely correct. Hell, look at the idiots lining up to buy the $200 Michael Jordan sneaker re-issues every few months. Mass produce em, stick the same price tag on em and nobody would give a rats ass.

I KNOW that the Left Hand Milk Stout they're putting out in the Nitro bottles is exactly the same as the Left Hand Milk Stout that I get on the Nitro tap at the bar, but they fact that I cant get it down here yet makes me want it that much more. I'm smart enough to know its a marketing thing, but dumb enough to fall for it...

My friend gave me on of those 5 gallon water cooler jugs. It is still sealed but he has had it for a year. It has been exposed to light, sun and hot temperature fluctuations in that year. Is there any thing I should worry about when brewing with this?

errr... way off topic in your own thread. It's your party, but heh? Bsst to start a new thread with some thing like this.

(oh, and on topic, who cares what that guy making the clones does. If his beer tastes good, I suggest drinking it and thanking him for making it)

(oh, and on topic, who cares what that guy making the clones does. If his beer tastes good, I suggest drinking it and thanking him for making it)

HAHA...the whole time reading this...I was wondering if the beer was good or not. If you don't like the guy don't give him your money...if you like the bar maids (or beer dudes) then drink up and don't forget to tip!

Back