Six strings, infinite possibilities

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fiery Sword

Reaction score
I've been slowly building up the guitar collection over the last 5-6 years and I'm in the position to make another 'investment', so I'm lookng for some input from fellow guitar players/collectors to decide which way to go next. I'm a Fender guy at heart, so I'd like to possibly branch out the current arsenal. Trying to keep it below $1500. As of right now, I've got

2000 Fender SRV Strat
1998 US Fender Strat (Standard)
1996 US Fender Telecaster 50th Aniversary
1966 Fender Electric 12 String
1981 Gibson SG Standard
200? Parker Nitefly
199? Epiphone 'Korina' V
199? Jackson DKMG

1981 Lotus L110 Acoustic
196? Gibson J45 Acoustic

My wishlist includes a Les Paul, a Rick, a Gibson Firebird and a few of them big old semi-acoustic Gibson or Gretsch guitars. I am also very tempted to go for a jumbo acoustic...a Martin or something. I play mostly rock/blues/hard rock, and a lot of folk/rock on the acoustic.

Please help me spend money!!!!! :D

Ivan Lendl said:
Get a 62 AVRI Jazzmaster or Jaguar. Best guitar Fender makes IMO.
Yeaaaaa, I've always had my eye on the Jaguars. I've just never had the chance to really play one for an extended period of time to get a good feel for it. Interesting thought tho. the plot thickens.....

That's quite a guitar collection. I'd say go with the firebird if you cn get one--they are sweet. Otherwise, a PRS would be something different for you, but it may be tough to keep within your budget.

Personally, I have been on a Martin hunt for a few months now. I've narrowed it down to one of 5 differnt dreadnoughts (all 28s and 35s). I also have a '90 Clapton signature series strat, which I love.

I'd love to have any on the list.

The Jaguar sounds great though.

I'm Drooling...

(In Napoleon Dynamite voice)...Lucky!

I love my 01 US Strat
Strat 01.jpg
But for beer I love this:
Mirafone Tuba.jpg

Wow! I'm jealous...

I dig those old Gretsch's as well, so for an electric, that gets my vote.

Are you considering an acoustic 12 string at all? Martin's DM12 is a pretty nice one for a reasonable (less than $1,000) price. A friend of mine had one, and I really enjoyed playing it - big Martin sound and fairly easy on the fingers.

EDIT: Oops, almost forgot - for a slightly higher price, Taylor's jumbo 12 string is another one I've really enjoyed in the past.

Hey if you want a Jag thats a little different check these out:

http://www.wildwoodguitars.com/electrics/fender/avts/jaguar/index.php

They are a little pricey, but nobody has them, they just came out and only a few stores are selling them. Untill these came out the only matching headstock Jags in the US are MIJ versions which have crappy PUPS, these are basically AVRI with a different radius and wicked cool colors.

jeffg said:
...a PRS would be something different for you, but it may be tough to keep within your budget.
To be honest I've never really played a PRS, though I'm sure they are amazing. The sound is definitely signature, and they are amazing looking. You're right tho, it's kind of like the whole Les Paul dilema. When I pull the trigger on a LP, it's going to be a vintage A+ cherry sunburst that is going to cost me a few grand and the firstborn. I'm not ready to go there yet (plus, i need some time to drum up the kid :D ).

homebrewer_99 said:
Somebody's got GAS!!!
(Gear Acquisition Syndrome)
Guitly as charged. It took me 5 years to weed out all the 'imposter' guitars I built up in the high school/college era. Epi's, "Fenders" made in East Bumfork, lots of pointy guitars like Kellys and Explorers. :D Now I'm in it for the good stuff. :rockin:

Brewsmith, that is a beautiful Strat. love the finish - but that horn is freaking huge. i had to use the chair to correct the visual scale. Doesn't that thing hurt to play?!?

Yuri_Rage said:
Are you considering an acoustic 12 string at all? Martin's DM12 is a pretty nice one for a reasonable (less than $1,000) price. A friend of mine had one, and I really enjoyed playing it - big Martin sound and fairly easy on the fingers.

EDIT: Oops, almost forgot - for a slightly higher price, Taylor's jumbo 12 string is another one I've really enjoyed in the past.
The 12 string acoustic is a big curveball for this go-round. I've had my eyes on a few Martin 12's, and played them a number of times at the local Guitar Center. I, would, however, kill that that Taylor. That thing has some serious presence.

I've got to get me up to the store this week to narrow the focus down.....keep the ideas coming, and thanks for the replies!

.....i really wish it wasn't almost 1 in the morning.....i could use a good rip at the Stevie. it's just not the same w/o the volume...

You can get PRSs for under $2k, so I'd say they are worth checking out--if anything just to get a feel for their unique shape/weight. A lot of their higher end stuff is mostly in the finish, but i know their extreme lower end lines have cheaper pickups and cut a few other corners. Maybe Chairman can weigh in, he apparently has three of them. I still want one (and a Les Paul), but I am getting a mac-daddy acoustic first and then an acoustic bass. The four string's been calling me as of late.

jeffg, I'll definitely be checking out a few PRS's this weekend. It seems, though, that they drop from the mid-2k's down to 6-700. Interesting they don't dabble anywhere in the middle. At that price break, they've more or less got to be completely different guitars.

Before playing, this guy is an early favorite, the Ric 330:

271470.jpg

ooooooooohhhhhhhh, aaaaaaahhhhhhhhhh says the crowd......

Im gonna get smacked for this I know it... Have you looked into Schecter, their C-1 will be the next guitar I get if they ever put it in natural color... It's not the highest end guitar but i've only heard good things... A lot of hard rock to metal guitarists use them now, picked one up at the local music store and loved the feel, but of course you have to understand i'm stuck on a Squire by Fender (which actually isn't all that bad i must say)and play mostly ryth. and the songs I play are all over in the way of tuning, so i want one that i can leave tuned down and one on E Standard...

Fiery Sword said:
The 12 string acoustic is a big curveball for this go-round. I've had my eyes on a few Martin 12's, and played them a number of times at the local Guitar Center. I, would, however, kill that that Taylor. That thing has some serious presence.
Yeah...I knew it was a bit of a curveball, but it's something I'm looking into as well, so I couldn't help it. Good luck!

Latest posts

Back