Figured I would ask and share these pics

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TAPPOOL

Reaction score
Being a long time brewer from the mid 90's and then a 13 year lay off (stupid move on my part) until last October and now being a first time hop grower this year, I figured I would show you how I decided to kill two birds with one stone. Trellis/ hop hammock...:rockin:

My question is this....The cones are really getting nice on my cascade hops. This is the only one that is going full tilt in the first year. The rest are getting their roots down, so to speak. Do these cones look close to being ready?

FYI...Nothing like laying there with a brew and a cigar and listening to my hops grow...Oh yea, I am drinking a nice cherry wheat as I write this...:)

Also, the pic of the trellis is about early July. The pic of the hops was taken today.

trellis.jpg

hops.jpg

I like it!

The hops still look young. If it wasn't dark I'd shoot my Cascades, the biggest cones are almost three inches in length.

Regardless of size, you want to maximize the lupulin payload before harvesting, so pry open a cone somewhere around the middle and look under a petal near the strig. If you're not seeing a lot of yellow, you can let them grow awhile longer...

Cheers!

Back