Best time to add acid malt?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buna_Bere

Reaction score
If I've brewed the same batch before and know exactly how much acid malt to add, when would be the best time to add it? I was thinking 5 or 10 minutes before I dough in the full grain bill to give the acid a chance to distribute throughout the water? or this is pointless, and I should just dough it all in at the same time?

AJ, I know you're a fan of Kolsch, have you found a favorite temp to ferment with that yeast?

I just put it in with the main mash and find it takes 15 -20 minutes for the pH to 'stabilize' but I've been experimenting with sulfuric acid and malt recently and found it takes 15-20 min for the pH rate of change to slow to the point where you think it is stabilizing but it keeps going down so getting the acid out of the sauermalz is just part of the equation. The rest is getting it into the malt. I guess pre-mashing speeds part 1 and may be beneficial but won't help with part 2 and I don't know, therefore, if it will speed things overall.

I find the Kölsch strains work pretty well at 58 °F.

Thanks Man, I'm gonna use that Kolsch yeast on my next pale, I hear it really lets the hops shine through.

Latest posts

Back