Very Low OG and FG - what happened?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

inkman15

Reaction score
I brewed a pumpkin ale about 3 weeks ago with the following recipe:

8 lbs Marris Otter (3 SRM)
.5 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM)
.5 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L (80.0 SRM)
.5 lbs Victory Malt (25.0 SRM)
3 lbs Pumpkin, baked (added to mash)
1 lbs rice hulls (added to mash)
2 oz Hallertauer (4.8%) - Boil (60 min)

Spice mix (flame out)
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp Ginger
1/8 tsp Nutmeg
1/8 tsp Allspice

Estimated OG 1.049
33.7 IBU
10.3 SRM

I sparged with the instructions from the Bee Cave Brewery Haus Pale Ale (which I've brewed before and was generally successful):

Single Infusion mash for 60 minutes at 152 degrees.
I batch sparge in a 10 gallon water cooler with a stainless braid manifold. Click here for great info on Batch Sparging.
Dough-in with 3.5 gallons of water. After 60 minutes, add 5 quarts of 175 degree water and begin vorlauf. My system only takes about 2 quarts before it clears up, then it's wide open to drain in the kettle. Have another 3.25 gallons of 175 degree water ready for the next batch sparge. You should then get 6.5 gallons to your kettle for the boil.

Unfortunately, my OG was 1.032 when I took a reading before fermentation. I let it sit for 3 weeks and yesterday cracked it open to bottle. My FG ended up being 1.010. So, I'm looking at a 2.89% ABV beer. Ugh.

I'm not really sure what happened here. My setup is a propane burner with a 10-gal cooler mash tun. Following my initial low gravity, I did a test with my mash tun for temperature. I filled it up with hot water and let it sit for an hour. It didn't lose 1 degree of heat.

Was it a bad crush?

It could be a bad crush.

You could validate your thermometer is giving you correct readings. I had one that was consistently 10 degrees off and was getting crappy conversions. I got a new one and my efficiency shot back up.

Crush or temperature.

Look at it this way, you have a spiced pumpkin session beer that you can guzzle all day watching football and not get too blasted.

Hadn't really considered the thermometer but that's a very good possibility. Any recommendations for a GOOD thermometer?

I'm sure there are a bunch. I use a basic digital candy/oil thermometer, however I would like to get an instant read in the future.

Back