Will it grow?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beer-Baron

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

Someone on the Aussie homebrew forums graciously sent me a rhizome.

His growing season was over and he packaged up a pretty big cutting and wrapped it in paper towels and plastic bags and shipped it all the way up to Canada for me. He sent me Pride of Ringwood if anyone is wondering.

Well when I got it the cutting looked ok but the package smelt pretty moldy. I planted it and its been about 2 weeks and there has not been anything coming up yet.

So do you think that this poor plant that just grew for all of Aussie summer will be able to stick it out and make some new roots for another summer up here in Canada? Or did the mold take over? Should I just quit worrying and wait for it to sprout?

Thanks

I've read about moldy rhizomes growing, as well as rhizomes that have sat around since a previous year's trimmings. I'd say it's got a chance, but I'd keep your hopes reasonable considering.

You may want to try another variety. . . . Pride of Ringwood is a very late maturing variety - usually the frost will get it before the crop is mature. (esp. in Canada)

I have a sprout! Well I spoke to soon. My Pride of Ringwood has a teeny tiny sprout poking out of the soil. And I also have some cascade and some Goldings growing also!

Latest posts

Back