Any advantage to SS Ball valve?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

solbergg

Reaction score
Hey all,

I'm going to be purchasing a kewler conversion kit and noticed that they have two versions, one with a brass ball valve and another with stainless steel. The ss version costs extra. Are there any advantages to using a ss ball valve?

Cast brass ball valves made in the US can contain as much as 7-9% lead content and be consider legal for drinking water systems in most states. Why? because at the time the specs were written, it was all that was available and we still had lead in our pencils. If you want to be safe, specify a Forged Italian Brass Valve meeting NSF61 for Drinking Water Systems. One supplier is Air Operated Ball Valve Air Operated Butterfly Valve Electric Ball Valve Electric Butterfly Valve. Do a "NSF61" search to find more.

Some companies are selling Chinese valves as lead free, but who really knows whats in them. If your using a cast brass valve, be sure to wash your hands before you eat your lunch.

Stainless has the bling factor. But IMHO, unless you are willing to commit to a full Stainless or almost full stainless system, I see no point in having one or two stainless components.

I for one only use stainless. It just takes me a lot longer to build things because of the $$$.

Back