Keg Conversion

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pendries

Reaction score
I recently acquired an old firestone style keg, I will be cutting the top off and using it for a HLT on the 3 tier I plan on building soon. Quick ?,What do you guys use for a sight glass? I am considering using a SS compression type fitting and a piece of sight glass tubing from McMaster Carr. I hope to incorporate this into the nipple to the 3/4 shutoff valve I'll be adding to the bottom of the keg. I understand I'll need to be very careful trying to seal the glass in the compression fitting. Any Thoughts? Any ideas on how to mark the glass tube?

I have glass and stainless kits already made up and ready to go. http://www.suebob.com/brew/sale

I have to warn you though, if you tap it into your drain bulkhead, you won't be able to maintain a siphon to drain the couple gallons below the bulkhead without first plugging the top of the sight glass. It acts as a siphon break otherwise. For that reason, I created a separate bulkhead just for the site. You can also use your thermometer bulkhead for the sight without a problem.

Bobby-- you've got a great deal on those sight glasses...2 questions:

1. If I didn't weld, would I just buy a weldless bulkhead and then screw your sightglass in?

2. I've never looked into welding prices-- does anyone know how much it'd cost to have a welder cut off the top of my keg, and weld in three bulkheads for a spicket, thermometer, and sightglass?

Thanks for the input. The keg I have has a portion of the bottom sloped to the side . I am hoping to weld my pipe fitting into this, right on the bottom corner of the keg, I'll have to get my brother in law to plasma cut the opening. This would allow for complete draining of keg. and also the sight glass should indicate as little as a gallon or less water.

Pendries

Back