This is crazy, right?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ilikethetrees

Reaction score
I suggested a friend of mine try a bottle of Tripel Karmeliet. He did. He then told me he thought it was "super hoppy" and dumped it because he doesn't like hops.

Never mind that he doesn't like hoppy beers. Tripel Karmeliet ain't that hoppy, right?! Wtf?!

WHO DOESN'T LIKE TRIPEL KARMELIET?!

Sounds like your friend isn't that familiar with beer. My father likes to use the phrase 'too hoppy' when describing any 'off' flavors he doesn't like in a beer. It's a Belgian, never had it, but guessing he's not liking the yeast character...

Tripel K is a hoppy tripel. I almost liken it to a Belgian IPA, although not over the top. It's a phenomenal beer, but definitely hoppy for the style.

Sounds like your friend isn't that familiar with beer. My father likes to use the phrase 'too hoppy' when describing any 'off' flavors he doesn't like in a beer. It's a Belgian, never had it, but guessing he's not liking the yeast character...

Yup. Wife's side of the family just doesn't understand me.

i have a "too hoppy" friend too. he's my work in progress- when he's hammered i get him to try different beers and describe appreciable tastes...- last night he had a rodenbach and said he genuinely enjoyed it. he previously declared liefmans and duchesse "undrinkable". it's up to us to change the world one beer at a time.

I would probably throat-punch him.

Also...I don't know if we're all drinking the same beer. Karmeliet has almost no hop presence to me, and is in no way comparable to a Belgian IPA. Even for a Tripel it is light...but that's just me...

I've never had Tripel Karmeliet, but the issue with the beer dumping is what I find the most offensive.
I've only had one person dump one of my beers so far, it was an Amarillo IPA. I gave it to a bunch of craft beer drinkers, and they all said it was excellent.
One of my co-workers wanted to try it so I gave him a bottle. He took one sip and dumped the rest down the drain, saying "Did you piss in that bottle or something?! I drink Guinness, so I know what odd beer is supposed to taste like, but that was awful!"
I gave up after wasting about an hour trying to explain the difference between Guinness and an IPA, saying they are on complete opposite ends of the beer spectrum...

I have never had a Tripel Karmeliet, nor do I have a fondness for Belgium beers, just not to my tastes, but I try them and will continue to do so... looking for that Belgium I like. I have never dumped one. That is extremely insulting. At least drink the entire bottle/glass to make a sound and informed decision.

BrewerinBR said:
I have never had a Tripel Karmeliet, nor do I have a fondness for Belgium beers, just not to my tastes, but I try them and will continue to do so... looking for that Belgium I like. I have never dumped one. That is extremely insulting. At least drink the entire bottle/glass to make a sound and informed decision.

I have been a IPA only guy for 15 yrs, won't touch anything else. Just had my first Ommegang Dubbel...wow. I been missing out. I have no clue if this is even a decent rep of Belgians, but my wife loved the style too, so moved to top of brew list.
looking for recipes now

But to keep OT, anyone so callous as to dump your brew and call it piss (damn), won't get another.

Latest posts

Back