Extra Beer!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LouBrew2

Reaction score
I brewed a 12 gallon biere de garde at the end of january. I only had 2 5 gallon carboys, so I put the other 2 gallons in the fridge. It's been about 4 months now and I'm running out of the already bottled beer. The yeast is obviously dormant in the stand-by (uncarbonated) beer in the fridge. I'm wanting to go ahead and bottle this beer... so do I sprinkle some dry yeast and bring it to room temp to activate the yeast in order to carbonate? How long would I need to wait before bottling to get sufficient carbonation? Thanks so much for the help!

How cold is the fridge? Typically if the alcohol is high or you have aged more than a year you will want to add more yeast. The same holds true for lagering as most believe that storing the beer at a cold temperature will kill off the yeast. However there are many cases where brewers have bottled the lager without adding yeast and have had no problems with carbonation. I would let the beer warm up as the carbonation will happen faster as the yeast will as you say be more dormant in the lower temperatures. Bottom line is that it does not hurt to add a little extra.

Back