Basic Workout Routine?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brauhaus

Reaction score
I ran a search of the web and I'm just seeing crap (special workout routines that involve specific products, etc.)

We have a very basic universal gym, i'm looking for a all around basic workout routine to help lose some weight and to build a mild amount of muscle.

Currently my workout is as follows:

I start out with running 1.5 miles at around 7 to 8 mph on the treadmill, gets me sweaty and gets my heart going (i remember when I used to go to the gym the instructor always asked that we'd "warm up" before lifting)... i think 1.5 miles is a tad overkill, but it's a lot less than the 5 miles I used to run.

After my run I use the universal gym; i start with an abdominal "crunch" type thing (kinda hard to explain, usually set for 100lbs. and I do 15-25reps) and then move onto the bench press (since I'm already sitting in the bench press position) again, 100 lbs. 10 reps...

Then I adjust the seat and leg curl? i think that's what it's called (same weight, 15 reps)... after I follow it up with working the pectoral muscles (same weight, 10 reps)

After I complete my pecs, I return to the ab crunchies and then repeat the following order 4 times...

I go every other day, then take the weekend off.

Can someone please share a simple routine that may be better than what I'm doing? I've been at this for 2 weeks.

We have the following machines available:

Stair Machine
Stationary Bike
Universal Gym
Treadmill

I'm looking to drop a few pounds and build some strength, I appreicate any pointers.:ban:

I have no experience with losing weight, but I do know that cross training is helpful. Run on the treadmill, use the bike and the stair machine alternately. To gain some strength, up the weight and reduce your reps.

The more muscle you have, the more efficiently your body will burn calories. Combine that with aerobic activity and a good diet and you'll see results. But you'll have to wait more than 2 weeks.

I have no experience with losing weight, but I do know that cross training is helpful. Run on the treadmill, use the bike and the stair machine alternately. To gain some strength, up the weight and reduce your reps.

The more muscle you have, the more efficiently your body will burn calories. Combine that with aerobic activity and a good diet and you'll see results. But you'll have to wait more than 2 weeks.

THANKS!

I only stated that I've been at this routine for 2 weeks just to show that I'm fairly new to this "workout" scene and I'm looking for some guidance.

I don't expect to see anything at least for a month or so... something minor.

THANKS!

I only stated that I've been at this routine for 2 weeks just to show that I'm fairly new to this "workout" scene and I'm looking for some guidance.

I don't expect to see anything at least for a month or so... something minor.
Cool. One other suggestion if you're looking to build strength. Work on one or two major muscle groups one day, another couple the next so the original group gets a day to regenerate. To build strength, you basically need to tear down the muscle and allow itself to rebuild larger.

So say Monday do chest and back, Tuesday arms and legs, Wednesday chest, back, etc. Smaller muscle groups you can hit whenever, but give them a day off.
Also, do your aerobic activity before the weight work. Do it vice versa and your body might start burning off that muscle you worked to build.

I know there are ways to get fanatic about fitness and muscle building just like many of us get with brewing but there's a basic way to be successful. Move weight in a controlled manner until you're too tired to move it again. Move on to another movement that works on a different muscle group. The biggest challenge is pushing yourself to do it regularly when it's WORK. Getting into a routine is much more valuable than doing the absolute best series of movements.

I'm currently trying to figure out a regular sport to join in on so that my fitness is more fun and "forced". I'm thinking about indoor volleyball. Running on a treadmill is just so boring.
Just my 2 cents.

I'm currently trying to figure out a regular sport to join in on so that my fitness is more fun and "forced". I'm thinking about indoor volleyball. Running on a treadmill is just so boring.
Just my 2 cents.

Take your runs outside. I use my treadmill and hate it. Outside is so much better.
+1 on finding another way to work out. I play hoops once a week and it helps tremendously. Until the next day when I can barely move. It's a lot different than running.

Interval training is good. On the bike or treadmill, go a steady pace for 1 min then as fast as you can for 1 min alternate that for 10 min total. Gets the metabolism up. You can also do that on a football field. +1 what Shecky said about heavy weight and lower reps.

+1 to the interval training. My sister is a PT and she has me doing that. I've lost over 15lbs since early August (started at 255lbs). I use the track at the high school across the street. I started out by jogging the straightaways (faster jog for the last 25M) and then walk the corners. I go every other day but it's starting to get too cold for me (sore throat issues) so I think I'll have to join a gym really soon.

all good points. Combinations of items above will work great. Keep changing the routines as well to avoid plateaus but still gain muscle memory. And whatever you are doing,USE FULL EXTENSION. it definitely helps. I can go on for days about training routines.My girlfriend also is an athletic trainer.

pyramids. its that simple. PM me if you want specifics.

all the real firefighters are doing them HE HE HE!!!

good workout, it'll kick your ass.

Zac

Cool. One other suggestion if you're looking to build strength. Work on one or two major muscle groups one day, another couple the next so the original group gets a day to regenerate. To build strength, you basically need to tear down the muscle and allow itself to rebuild larger.

This is pretty decent advice and one that I typically follow. I lift twice a week (sometimes more) and typically work opposing muscle groups and mix in core and legs in there as well.

Tuesday's would be Chest and Tris, Squats, Weighted sidebends (obliques), and crunches. Then Thursday's would be Back and Bi's. When you're doing your back work out, don't forget about the lower back (deadlifts) - this is very important and I think were most people tend to neglect and suffer from back pain.

I have been a big wieght lifter ever since 7th grade or so. It got me to play College football and i've used the workout to stay in a much more healthy shape now. Here is what i use for what it's worth.

Make sure you warm up it's crucial. I'm only 24 and i warm up extensivly to avoid "issues".

Monday-Chest and Tricepts
These two muscle groups work togeather to some extent so it's good to work them out at the same time so you don't overwork them on multiple days.

I suggest doing the cardio first this way you still get the wear from the endurance and you get more muscle growth out of your weight training. There is a lot of debate on this but i whole hartedly believe this is the best way to do it. It also makes for a great warm up!

Do a tred mill run on monday start at 20 mins for the first couple weeks of working out and increase at 10 min increvals every month or so.

Do 3 exercises for chest with 10-12 reps each and then do 3 tricept excercises with 10-12 reps each. Close grip and wide grip tricept extensions are great for this. Also as a note to keep the workout intense and get as much done as i can in a short time i alternate chest and tricept exercises. This is the same sort of priciple they used for the 300 workouts. Constant movement keeps the heart rate up. Mix in abs on monday.

Tuesday - Back and bicepts.

Warm up and run the 20 minuets.
Do 3 exercises for 10-12 reps. Lat pull down sitting straight up and down and then lat pull down leaning very far back are great exercises. The wider you grip the wider your lats will get (making that V shape upper body).
Then do 3 exercises for 10-12 reps for bicepts. Hammer girst and barbell curls are good for this.

Wednesday - Legs.

I never used to really do legs after football because i thought it didn't add much to appearence (I know not a great reason). But then i found out that doing legs (squats specifically) works a really large muscle group which burns lots more calories and produces a lot of testoterone that will burn fat and help grow muscle. I know do legs weekly! Huge improvements

Thursday - off Rest is imperitive!

Friday - Shoulders

Warm up and run (legs might be sore so don't go crazy)
then do 3 sets of 10-12 reps. I suggest military presses and standing rows. Also do shruggs this is a great way to look huge quickly. It's really noticable! Also hit the abs hard this day!

Saturday - Light run and stretching.

Sunday - Off

But the biggest thing is nutrition. I don't mean giving up but i choosing. If you love fried shrimp make sure you don't eat pie that day. I don't eat the skin when i eat chicken and i always have a little salad of tomatoes, cucumber, and carrots and it really helps. Tuna is great for people looking to gain muscle and loose fat. OH and FLAX SEED!!! This stuff is almost tasteless and adds tons of protein and fiber so you get lots of muscle fuel and feel fuller when you eat. It's the best thing for loosing fat and gaining muscle!

I have seen people who only want to work out 2 or 3 days a week and that's ok but what ends up happening is results are so slow to show up that most people get discouraged and quit. If you do this faithfully for 1 month you WILL SEE an amazing improvement. I have worked with people before and this works. It's really great to see someone who actually asked because most people are afraid to ask for advice and never really get started. My dad is overweight and no matter what i try to do nothing helps because ultimately it's up to him. It's really upsetting. I've put quite some time into this because people have taken the time to give me this information. I've gotten to train under the strenght coach for the New England Patriots and some of these tips are things i remember for that. I guess with all this rambling i wish you all the best and i hope you get everything you want out of this. Good luck!

I have been a big wieght lifter ever since 7th grade or so. It got me to play College football and i've used the workout to stay in a much more healthy shape now. Here is what i use for what it's worth.

Make sure you warm up it's crucial. I'm only 24 and i warm up extensivly to avoid "issues".

Monday-Chest and Tricepts
These two muscle groups work togeather to some extent so it's good to work them out at the same time so you don't overwork them on multiple days.
Tuesday - Back and bicepts.
Wednesday - Legs.
Thursday - off Rest is imperitive!
Friday - Shoulders
Saturday - Light run and stretching.
Sunday - Off

There's no core exercises in this. You should definitely add in obliques, abs, lower back and middle back exercises. Core is so important because they are the muscles that you use with nearly every activity and they protect your core and spinal column/cord.

There's no core exercises in this. You should definitely add in obliques, abs, lower back and middle back exercises. Core is so important because they are the muscles that you use with nearly every activity and they protect your core and spinal column/cord.

That's a good point! I usually do that stuff intermitantly but i didn't think to include it. I concure!

KEEP IT PRIMITIVE

I keep my workouts as primitive as possible. I only do compound movements, concentrating on the "Big Three" - bench, deadlifts, squats. I supplement with other compound movements such as dips, chins, etc.

Whenever I do any other exercises, I do them only at the end of workouts or on "off days" and keep them as primitive as possible, too. For instance, I do a fair amount of medicine ball exercises.

Next year I'll be adding more primitive movements and plyometrics to my regimen and plan to re-start Kung Fu after the beginning of the year.

All good advice, but exercise without diet is moot. I have advocated the abs diet here before, so here I go again:

The Abs Diet Workout Plan At Men's Health Com - Men's Health

For some reason absdiet.com won't work at the moment.

I bought the book and its an eye opener about healthy eating and you don't have to give up much to do it right. Plus, smoothies are awesome--I bought a magic bullet blender just to make smoothies.

EDIT: the book has different exercises as well, and even some that require nothing but body weight and no fancy equipment.

KEEP IT PRIMITIVE

I keep my workouts as primitive as possible. I only do compound movements, concentrating on the "Big Three" - bench, deadlifts, squats. I supplement with other compound movements such as dips, chins, etc.

Whenever I do any other exercises, I do them only at the end of workouts or on "off days" and keep them as primitive as possible, too. For instance, I do a fair amount of medicine ball exercises.

Next year I'll be adding more primitive movements and plyometrics to my regimen and plan to re-start Kung Fu after the beginning of the year.

Ok keeping it primitive. I'm not sure exactly what that means. I think you want for a more simple plan. This workout really works. It's taken me 8 years to perfect and i've worked with several professional power lifters, personal trainers, and sports doctors. I've also gone through a boot camp. But if i had to simple it down i would to it like this.

Chest, Back - This means flat and incline bench, pull ups or lat pull downs.
Legs - Here is your squats and deadlifts (done right deadlifts are mostly legs but i don't suggest deadlifts because it puts a huge strain on your lower. I NEVER do deadlifts. Too dangerous.)
Shoulders and arms - miltary presses, curls, and dips.

Three days a week vs the 5 or 6 day workout will take 2 to 3 times as long to see results. If the exorcises are done with 12 reps of moderate weight with 1 to 2 mins between sets or alternating exercises the whole workout usually takes 30 to 35 minuets. I lift hard and do extra sets and it takes me 40. I agree that nutrition is crucial.

I have been a huge fan of isolating muscle groups because of how well you can focus each part and work out to the fullest. The only other workout i would try would be the one done by the guys from 300. This workout seems easy but it's much more complicated. It's a lot of crazy workout stuff like running with paracutes or sleds and doing whole body exorcises which doesn't allow for enough rest and can result in stress injuries. I've had many stress injuries (shoulders, elbows, chest) and i've learned how to avoid them. Warm up often, focus on specific areas, REST. I know this is vauge and it's hard to really convey what you need. But i hope this helps.

Legs - Here is your squats and deadlifts (done right deadlifts are mostly legs but i don't suggest deadlifts because it puts a huge strain on your lower. I NEVER do deadlifts. Too dangerous.)

Deadlifts, along with clean-and-jerk, are an excellent exercises for your lower back. I find that alot of people neglect their lower back, but more often then not, that is where they'll run into problems with injuries.

Deadlifts, along with clean-and-jerk, are an excellent exercises for your lower back. I find that alot of people neglect their lower back, but more often then not, that is where they'll run into problems with injuries.

I agree that they're great exercises for certain things. When i played College football the clean and jerk was essential. I only weighed 190 but i cleaned 300. Now however i NEVER do them. They're unsafe and can lead to undue stress and wear on joints. I feel the same way about deadlifts to some extent. If not done incorrectly you can get a hernia or worse. Gotta keep that back straight and use the knees!

You may want to try the workout below from Men's Health. It's a simple (yet intense) workout for people w/out much equipment.

I've been lifting and working out for the past 6 years and have always had access to either my college's gym or new york sports club. In August, I moved into an apartment with my gf and in order to save money I had to drop the gym membership. My apt has a gym in the basement w/some basic equipment but no free weights ect.

I just started this "No-gym Classic" workout. The workout is mostly body weight exercises and circuit training. It's amazing how great of a workout it is considering you don't need much equipment.

- No-Gym Classic - Belly Off

There is tons of good advice on here and other sites and some contradict each other. Therefore, I will post what I do, and if any of it sounds like it will work for you, you can pick and choose what you like.

First of all. I do cardio every day that I work out. However, I alternate whether I do it before weights or after. Also, I break my exercises into "push" exercises and "pull" exercises. My push exercises are bench press, military press, tricep extentions etc. My pull exercises are bicep curls, lat pulldown, row machine etc. I also alternate these. When I do my cardio beforehand, I typically do it longer, more paced, when I do it afterwards, I do it for shorter time, but as hard as I can go. Also, on days when i do my cardio after weights, those are the days I do my legs. Someone mentioned legs earlier, and they are very important to an exercise regiment; especially if you are trying to lose weight. Losing weight is all about burning calories. Muscles burn more calories than fat, even when you are not using them. The largest muscles in your body are in your legs. It makes sense to get them strong. Simply having strong leg muscles will burn more calories, even while you are sitting around. And last, but certainly not least, and feel free to laugh if you want, but the last thing I do when I get home from the gym is one of those ab workout videos. Sure, they are mostly geared towards women, but do one one day and tell me they don't kick your butt. They are usually 10-15 minutes and focus on all areas of your abs and typically focus on you gluts, hip flexors, hamstrings and back as well.

Here is how a typical week goes for me:

Monday - Bench press, followed by tricep extentions, followed "military press" with free weights. Then I do leg lifts and calf extentions. Follow that up with 20 minutes on the bike (I prefer the bike over running, but of course running is perfectly acceptable) at full speed. Then on home for the ab video

Tuesday - 30 minutes on the bike at 80% speed followed by row machine, bicep curls and then lat pulldown. If I have any upper body strength left after that I will do pullups until I am toast.

Wednesday - Same as Monday

Thursday - Same as Tuesday

Friday - Off

Saturday - Sometimes off, sometimes a light version of Monday

Sunday - off

Monday - repeat.

So, like I said, this is what works for me, and it probably would not work for everyone, but hopefully you can find some advice in there :p

Good luck and stick with it. You may not see results right away, but trust me, even if you are not losing weight, you are still doing your body a favor.

Check out Welcome to CrossFit: Forging Elite Fitness

If your just starting out you'll have to scale the workouts till you get used to them. Ususally you don't need anything but a barbell and a pull up bar (for the most part) many of the workouts you just do with your own body weight.

The general concept of the whole thing is Force X Distance/ Time = power

So moving the most amount of weight a long distance in a short period of time. Most of the workouts you complete as fast as you can, or you do as many repititions as you can in a set amount of time.

They follow a 3 on 1 off schedule and every morning the Workout of the Day is posted up. It killed me for about the first 2 months but after that the torure kinda became fun, some of the workouts i've only done once and i've been doing it for about a year now.

Give it a shot for 2 weeks to a month and see if you wanna stick it out or not.

Back