REAL Beer bread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anyone care to post a bread machine version of this.. Maybe a whole wheat? But, the husks might cut the dough.. not sure.. A good white with the grains should be very good tho.

Not so much interested in using any trub... just the spent grains. Guess I could just make cookies for the pooch....

Would washing the yeast and just using the yeast help with hop particles? I have a beer that I will be kegging in the next week or two and would love to do this but I have never seen a trub that looks appetizing at all.

Funny you should mention this. I just washed some yeast from an oatmeal stout because I don't want too much roasty flavor making it's way to some rolls I'll be making for thanksgiving.

Nice post, aside from brewing I love to cook and try new things...will definitely try this.

BamaRooster said:
Place the loaf on a baking sheet that has been covered with corn meal cover with a towel and let it rise a second time until it is double to triple the original size. Bake for 40 minutes on 450 degrees

If I wanted to bake this in bread loaf pans, would I put the dough in the pan before or after the rise mentioned above? I mean should I let it rise on a baking sheet and then put it in a loaf pan or let it rise in the loaf pan?

Also how long is the rise mentioned above take? A couple hours or overnight?

Thanks in advance!:mug:

If I wanted to bake this in bread loaf pans, would I put the dough in the pan before or after the rise mentioned above? I mean should I let it rise on a baking sheet and then put it in a loaf pan or let it rise in the loaf pan?

Also how long is the rise mentioned above take? A couple hours or overnight?

Thanks in advance!:mug:

You would place the bread in the pan before the second rise. Goodluck!!

BuMP.. no help with a breadmaker recipe??? Surely someone must have one. I'm just not sure how much spent grain to add to the normal mix..

I had 2 year old Lager yeast that i have been using to make lagers. I figured rather then throw it out i would use it to make bread. Very good stuff!

Lager bread.jpg

Just found this and so I saved the dregs from 2 1-gallon (have to separate them for the mini-fridge) kolsches (wyeast 1007) that were just finishing up in secondary. I didn't read the directions well, so I ended up adding too much starter and had to almost double the amount of flour. My flour selection was limited, so mine was probably 50/50 whole wheat and all purpose. This was the first "beer-bread" that I've made with homemade beer that didn't taste like intense (and nasty) banana. I added some spent grain to the dough as well, and it turned out ok. I think it tastes alright.

It was a bit underwhelming, it didn't taste much different from the stuff my wife makes with quick bread yeast and was more effort. I think next time I'll have everything ready to go and just dump the yeast cake directly into the dry ingredients for the dough, mix it in, and let it sit overnight. Maybe cut back slightly on the whole wheat flour.

Looking forward to tweaking this after I brew up some vienna lager.

If it tastes as good as it looks then man. That is a beautiful crumb and crust.
It looks wonderful chewy like you would make a delicious anyting :)

Maybe you can look at some of the other advice here and turn it into a Sourdough.
I usually make sourdough toast from whole Rye flour and water.
and let all the different buggies do their thing over several weeks period of maintaining the starter.

Now to think of it I bet with this mix of grains a Kentucky Common would make a very interesting bread ( Rye, corn, barley).

My wife and I tried this recipe over the weekend. I think you could call it a partial success. One mason jar of not-so-yummy trub was collected. This was from an American Stout partial-extract recipe kit.

trub.jpg

This was then used to make the starter and the bread.

When "done," the bread was somewhat reminiscent of a misshapen turkey.

bread.jpg

After cutting into the thick, hard crust, we found that we hadn't baked it sufficiently. It was definitely under-baked and a little doughy. We messed up. We were able to salvage a few pieces. It was definitely a bit bitter and unlike any bread I've had before. Our young boys devoured what we gave them. We're disappointed with our results, but we're not giving up. My next batch of beer will be an IPA in a month or so, and we'll give it a second try.

Back