Anyone have off tomorrow?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

todd_k

Reaction score
Anyone have off tomorrow for MLK Jr Day? I work for a bank so most of us get off. My office is 24/7 but on holidays, I have even less work than normal so I decided to take off.
A weird thing about VA is that state workers got last Friday off too for Lee-Jackson Day. They've been celebrating that since the late 1800's (Jackson was added in the early 1900's). When Reagan made MLK Jr Day and official federal holiday, VA combined Lee-Jackson Day with MLK Jr Day. Talk about ironic! It wasn't until 2000 that VA split the 2 days up to Friday and then the following Monday.

I decided last week to take a day of vacation tomorrow, so I am off. I plan to bottle the Red Arse Ale I have in the secondary.

I'm off, and planning on bottling my porter. I WAS going to brew, but I couldn't get the right yeast, and I WAS going to rack my wit to secondary, but it's not ready, so everything else is on hold for now. Ah, patience, a difficult virtue to master.

I'm off today, but only because that is how my schedule rotates. I would normally have worked on Christmas and New Years if my daughter would have waited until January to be born--I'm not complaining.

That is one of several reasons I have for going back to school, to get a job where I get weekends and holidays off.:D

Gee, when I was a Federal employee I never got any holidays. Maybe next time I should try the civil service not the Navy!

david_42 said:
Gee, when I was a Federal employee I never got any holidays. Maybe next time I should try the civil service not the Navy!
Strange, my daughter is Navy and she gets most the holidays off. Before I was a Federal Civilian I spent 20 years in the Army and got most Holidays off then also. Now the Military folks usually get training holidays to make the holiday weekends four days. We, civilians don’t get those. But, they deserve it, because when they deploy, they don’t get any real time off and the separation and all that.

Guess things have changed a bit. When I was in, not only did we not get most holidays, but when we did, we were not allowed to take leave to extend the weekend. So, we had Thanksgiving off, "worked" Friday, then had the regular weekend IF we didn't have duty.

Maybe it's the difference between having draftees and volunteers.

If you can call it a day off... I brewed a strong IPA, bottled the peppercorn rye bock and racked a medium IPA to the secondary. Aside from that, I ran some errands and cleaned the house - all in a day off... :D

I had the day off but it wasn't really what I call a holiday since I was down at the state legislature most of the day, something I've been doing every MLK day for the past several years.

Buford said:
I had the day off but it wasn't really what I call a holiday since I was down at the state legislature most of the day, something I've been doing every MLK day for the past several years.

What do you do there, hold a sign and chant?:fro:

Sorry, I'm not very politically active, just curious...

Back