Does bottled water need to be boiled before use?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Khasta

Reaction score
Do you need to boil bottled water before "clean" usage like adding it to your fermenter?

Yesterday i brewed an ipa and was aiming for 1.060 OG, i ended up over boiling it, and ended up with 1.070, so i decided to add some bottled spring water, right before pitching, was that a mistake?

I would think about the bottle. Was it a Sealed bottle from a factory? If so, Likely it's ok.

Is it a bottle from the store that was sitting open for 2 weeks before it was filled.... meh.. much less ok

Is it a bottle that you bought months ago, then it sat in your basement open to everything, your 3 year old used it as a part of the wall to a fort they built..etc..etc.... hell no it's not ok

Is it the same bottle in your basement that you cleaned with PBW and Sanatized with StarSan before you went to the store. Yeah it's likely ok and good to go.

Lol
It was water from my water dispenser, you know the big 5g bottles, i put it straight from the bottle tho it didnt run through all the machine, i hope its okay thanks for the replys guyz!
Brew strong!

Back