Belgian Triple Recipe (critique please)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kebast

Reaction score
So this will be my first true AG Belgian Triple. I did a partial mash clone of Delirium Tremens about a year and a half ago that turned out great. Now I want to make a very tasty Triple from scratch :). I put a tiny bit of flavor malts in this, but kept it simple for the most part.

10 gallon batch
12.5 gallon boil volume
1.091 OG
1.016 FG
25.3 IBU

24.00 lbs Pilsen malt
4.00 lbs Vienna malt
2.00 lbs Light Wheat malt
0.50 lbs Biscuit malt
0.38 lbs Aromatic malt
3.00 lbs Turbinado sugar

90 min 1.25 oz Amarillo (9.2AA)
30 min 1 oz Styrian Goldings (5.0AA)
15 min 1 oz Styrian Goldings (5.0AA)
2 min 0.5 oz Saaz (4.0AA)

WLP 550 Belgian Ale yeast (big starter)

Should I change up the grain bill? I don't really care that this is exactly true to style, I just want it to taste good! :mug:

I'd keep 3lbs of sugar, it will help dry it out to style and using up to 4lbs per 10 gallons sounds fine to me. I would not use turbinado sugar personally but use corn or standard table instead, turbinado might add too much molasses/dark flavors that would be really out of place in a tripel - and your vienna, aromatic, and biscuit would already add more than enough complexity for a tripel. Let the yeast shine! Just my opinion of course

I would ditch the Biscuit malt and Aromatic malt. Then I would switch out the Turbinado for one of the lighter homemade candi syrups. Table sugar would work too. Either way, I agree not to go Turbinado for a tripel.

Also, you didn't mention anything about the mash or the fermentation...two very important pieces of info for any Belgian ale IMO.

Sorry. Plan for a mash in at 130 F for 10 min, then slowly add heat up to 150 F for 75 min. I mash in a SS kettle, so I usually stir and add heat every 20 min or so. Target range is 147 - 150.
I'll probably have to use a water bath to control fermentation temps. Going to let it start at 65 F and let it raise to 72 through primary.
Thanks for the replies so far!

I did a tripel a little while back. I planned on using some specialty grains as well, but on advice from the board dropped everything except sugar and my base grain (I used MO). I used Wyeast3787, and that was a great yeast. I would change two things about my recipe. I came in at 27 IBU's, I would aim for just a bit higher next time, maybe right around 32 or so, and I wouldn't use table sugar. I think corn sugar or invert would be better.

This was my recipe if interested:

Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Boil Size: 6.41 gal
Estimated OG: 1.086 SG
FinalGravity: 1.008 SG
Estimated Color: 5.4 SRM
Estimated IBU: 26.8 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 80.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
11.00 lb Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) Grain 84.62 %
1.50 oz Williamette [5.02 %] (45 min) Hops 20.0 IBU
1.00 oz Hallertauer [4.80 %] (15 min) Hops 6.9 IBU
2.00 lb Cane (Beet) Sugar (0.0 SRM) Sugar 15.38 %
1 Pkgs Trappist High Gravity (Wyeast Labs #3787) Yeast-Wheat

Single Infusion, Light Body, Batch Sparge
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
90 min Mash In Add 13.75 qt of water at 164.1 F 148.0 F

OK, modified the recipe. I think I'll give the Turbinado sugar a try this time. I'm still thinking about how I want to add it. I'm contemplating letting the beer ferment for about 3-4 days and then adding the sugar. I've read here and several other places that the yeast perform better that way. If I do this, I might add 1.5 lb of Turbinado to half the batch, and 1.5 lb of invert sugar (the homemade version) to the other half.

OG - 1.085, FG - 1.015, IBU - 30

% LB MALT OR FERMENTABLE PPG °L
74% 23 lb Pilsner (2 Row) Ger 37 2
10% 3 lb German Vienna 35 3
10% 3 lb Turbinado 44 10
6% 2 lb Belgian Wheat 38 2

USE TIME OZ VARIETY FORM AA
boil 60 mins 1.5 Amarillo leaf 9.2
boil 30 mins 1.0 Styrian Goldings pellet 5.4
boil 15 mins 1.0 Styrian Goldings pellet 5.4
boil 1 min 0.5 Saaz pellet 3.5

White Labs Belgian Ale (WLP550)

Mash 130 for 10 min, then 148-150 for 75 min.

I used demerara in my triple and I think it adds a nice subtle caramelly note. Turbinado is a little darker but I don't think it'd be out of place. You might even want to up it to 4 pounds. The recipe looks good though.

edit: the esters/alcohols Belgian yeasts produce can make a beer taste like it had a higher FG than it really does. I usually try to get all my big Belgians to dry out as far as possible because it'll still taste nice and sweet up front.

Brewed the recipe above this weekend. Ended up splitting the batch into two buckets for primary. Used a White Labs 570 yeast in 5 gallons, and the Wyeast 1214 yeast in the other 5 gallons. Been bubbling away in a 70 degree water bath!

Back