Looking for Parti-Gyle recipes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smitty2324

Reaction score
Ok. Been reading about Parti-Gyle brewing and I'm anxious to try this out. I've got my own recipe formulated (Belgian Golden Strong -> Kolsh -- not sharing it til I've tried it), but want to cut my teeth on another recipe to at least get the process down first. Saw the one recipe in Radical Brewing by Mosher, but it really isn't screaming "Brew Me" right now.

Anyone got any good ones? Looking for a 10 Gallon split batch.

If it were me I'd do a SMaSH English barleywine/bitter with Maris Otter and EKG. This is what I always imagine when I think of partigyle brewing. Recipe's not exciting but I bet it would taste authentic.

Last year at this time I partigyled my pumpkin (sounds dirty) and brewed it on Labor day.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f36/lets-partyyyy-gyle-pumpkin-porter-ale-one-mash-74927/

The good thing about the thread is that it is sort of a "real time" thread of me not being able to get my head around the maths to come up with my own recipe, to having an "aha" moment and actually doing it, with a lot of help from some great brewers.

Thanks Revvy, I'll check that out. The thing that is keeping me from jumping on my own recipe is the maths. It seems simple enough, but I'd much prefer to screw up someone else's recipe than my own.

28 pounds of Marris Otter mashed with 11 gallons of water will yield a nice 1.100 wort once boiled down for 2 hours. That's just the first runnings. Cap the mash with a pound of crystal 80 then sparge with 6.5 gallons. Those runnings will be good for a 1.055 ESB or so.

EKG throughout both. Target about 90IBU on the barleywine and ferment it with a crapload of yeast.

28 pounds of Marris Otter mashed with 11 gallons of water will yield a nice 1.100 wort once boiled down for 2 hours. That's just the first runnings. Cap the mash with a pound of crystal 80 then sparge with 6.5 gallons. Those runnings will be good for a 1.055 ESB or so.

EKG throughout both. Target about 90IBU on the barleywine and ferment it with a crapload of yeast.

That sounds pretty good. I just might try it.

Thanks Revvy, I'll check that out. The thing that is keeping me from jumping on my own recipe is the maths. It seems simple enough, but I'd much prefer to screw up someone else's recipe than my own.

Yeah, originally the maths reminded me of that 3 d chess game in Star Trek; too many variable on too many different levels. But it turned out, once I got my head around it, too not be that difficult, especially using beersmith and "cheating" it...but the brewer that came in later in the thread and explained it really cleared some stuff up for me.

:mug:

Latest posts

Back