Cologne

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SnickASaurusRex

Reaction score
So I have a spending habit on this stuff.

I'd like to think that I have a refined palette, and I l really enjoy shopping for the stuff. I have been good at picking out aromas that are in there before the woman behind the counter tells me what is in it.

I've been diggin on Christian Dior Fahrenheit, Issey Miyake L'aeu D'issey, and YSL Opium lately. I am considering purchasing Thierry Mugler Cologne. I never thought I would have a petty retail habit, but I just cant get enough of this stuff.

Any other Parfum-a-philes out there?

generally i go with the "Liquid Smoke" or "Mid-Priced Bourbon" but lately I'm keen on "Fuggles."

actually I have never found a scent I fully appreciated (for me.) The wife has several I really like. I recently read that you need to evaluate your skin type before choosing a cologne... Sounds like a lot of work. Seems like every one i've sniffed is too musky, citrusy, or flowery.

I'm already married, so I don't figure I need the fish attractant effect anymore. :D

I'm allergic to practically everything that touches my skin, so cologne is right out.

Can't say that I am. I don't like too much scent: it just bugs me all day long. I do enjoy well scented shave soaps/creams, though. They leave just enough behind for me.

Do you frequent badger and blade? Some of those guys are absolutely nuts over everything smelly.

I used to wear Armani Code but my wife complained that it made me smell old. So last year she bought me some Diesel Fuel for Life. I'm not real picky and as long as she likes how it smells that's good enough for me.

Does a cascade pellet in your shirt pocket count? I stumbled across some Driven that I enjoy. Polo Blue is a "GoTo" and Cool Water by Davidoff.

Basically clean scents, light on the nose. Nothing worse in the world than getting in an elevator after some parfume-a-holic (or smoker) has just got out.

Can't say that I am. I don't like too much scent: it just bugs me all day long. I do enjoy well scented shave soaps/creams, though. They leave just enough behind for me.

Do you frequent badger and blade? Some of those guys are absolutely nuts over everything smelly.

Yea, I've been a member for a pretty long time now. I'm nowhere near as nuts as some of the guys there. It is where I found an appreciation for colognes.

My wife makes all of mine for me. I can't plug her business on here, but she makes a full line of coordinated scented bath, body, and home products for men and women. We've even devloped a beer soap with oatmeal and hops in it. It's awesome.

My wife usually picks out and buys my stuff. I think I have Issey Miyake and jean paul gaultier as the two main ones now. I am not picky at all, it is really up to her.

Maybe it's just my changing tastes, but there's something about dressing myself up with a scent that seems sorta weird to me these days. I have 3 bottles of cologne, 2 of which my wife bought me, one I bought myself, that I think I've had for at least 8 years. Sometimes I'll put it on before I go to bed, because she likes the smell. But wearing it to work? Why? Most days I'm drinking beer or wine, too, sometimes in a professional capacity, and there is NOTHING worse than cologne to ruin a glass of beer or wine.

Funny sorta-related side-anecdote: there's a wine distributor here that employs this lardass rep. She's nice enough, but kinda flaky. She smokes like a chimney, which is bad enough to smell when she comes around with her wines to sample, but most of the time, she carries around perfume and will spritz herself with it to cover up the smoke...right before she comes in with wine to taste. This is mildly annoying when you're tasting her normal everyday samples, but the coup de grace came about 5 years ago. We were having this upscale dinner with the guy who owned the wine shop I was working at at the time, a bunch of us wine geeks, and our womens. They were opening some sick sh*t..epic, epic wines. The monster of the bunch was a 1990 Latour. Yikes, was that stuff amazing.

Then that rep shows up---I guess the owner had asked her to stop by and try some of the wines we had with dinner. Predictably, she had doused herself in several ounces of cheap perfume, and the entire f*cking table knew it. Right there, she ruined that $1000 bottle. Went from amazing subtleties of graphite, earth, leather, and cherries...to P-Funks and drugstore perfume.

I don't use Cologne much at all. I had a bottle of something decent, my teenage sons (the same ones who think a half can of axe is cool) got ahold of it and emptied the bottle on themselves.

Acqua Di Gio By Giorgio Armani For Men makes the Mrs weak in the knees.

I've been diggin on Christian Dior Fahrenheit, Issey Miyake L'aeu D'issey, and YSL Opium lately. I am considering purchasing Thierry Mugler Cologne. I never thought I would have a petty retail habit, but I just cant get enough of this stuff.

Any other Parfum-a-philes out there?

I use Fahrenheit daily at the moment and before that it was Issey Miyake.
I use a deocrystal and that is unscented so it goes well with any scent.
Boss can be good as is Armani.

I use it whenever I hop out of the shower, one application early morning and by the evening it's nice and mellow.

Not a nut about it, but I certainly always have a nice bottle of cologne or two there.

I use classic old spice deodorant. I've never been into the whole cologne thing. I can't find something that I really like the smell of and refuse to believe that I smell so bad that I need to cover it up. (actually I think I smell quite well)

clean clothes, a shower, and some deodorant. that's it.

I think what got me into the whole cologne thing was a good sales person. She got me talking and we ended up talking about coffee, beer and wine, specifically about terroir. She was good and we quizzed each other on the scents that were there. I ended up buy a bottle of Dolce and Gabbana The One for my wife. It was a down hill battle ever since I realized the connection between palette and parfum.

It is a small luxury right now, but some day I hope to have a cabinet of vintage colognes and perfumes. Nothing gets me going more than when my wife digs out some scent that she hasn't worn since we were dating.

I've noticed the more you know about it, the more you appreciate it. Axe, and other Wal Mart Cologne is the BMC of the cologne world. You can get some pretty decent stuff in department stores. Most of the department store smells are just knock offs of classic scents. For example Aqua Di Gio= Truefitt and Hill 1805. I started wearing colognes when I started wet shaving. I look at them as a way to pamper myself.

Brew Weasel: I'm going to PM you about that soap. I mentioned it to one of the vendors at Badger and Blade in a soap scent suggestion thread. It got glossed over by some idiot wanting pot soap though.

I was thinking the other day...

Why don't they make cologne that smells like, I don't know... sawdust? Isn't the best smell in the world cedar sawdust? I've been tempted to buy a bag of cedar mulch and just leave it in the back of the car. Even the smell of 2x4s.... I mean, if you're going to smell like something all day, why not like Norm Abraham's workshop?

I don't wear any cologne 99.9% of the time, one of the women I've worked with for years is very sensitive to it so I don't in consideration of her (and I'm just not in the habit).

funny you mention that - one of my favorite smelling products was a bath and body works aftershave from years ago that smelled very piney (in a not-like-pinesol way) and had some kind of wilderness-y name.

Back