Sanitizing oak chips

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joe6pack

Reaction score
I just picked up an IPA kit that has toasted oak chips in it. It says to sanitize them via steam like you were steaming vegetables. Basically when I do that I just put the veggies in a little water and nuke them for a couple minutes. Is that sufficient?

Also, it says to put them in for the whole fermentation period. Which is 7 days. I know better than to bottle after 7 days, so should I put the oak chips in for the whole 4 weeks that I plan on letting it sit in the fermenter? Should I put them in a hop bag?

It's been a while since I last visited the site... I forgot to search before asking.
Sorry everybody!

Hmm...Has anyone ever tried those Zip-Loc Zip n' Steam Bags? You can usually just toss vegetables in the bags without water and then pop them in the microwave. Although I guess you would want to add a bit of water since oak chips have minimal residual water in them compared to vegetables. They say they can be steamed for up to 12-15 minutes, which I would imagine would be long enough to sanitize (maybe sterilize) everything.

Anyone thought of or tried this?

I have a tupperware veggie steamer for the microwave. although all you need is a noodle boiler for a pot. put them in it and boil the water under it. OR get one big enough for your Wort kettle and let the chips hang out above the vapors coming off the wort.

Steaming anything is nearly impossible at home. Steam is invisible, what most consider steam is just hot water vapor.

Back