1st Robust porter recipe critique- suggestions :)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2brew559

Reaction score
hello every one
hope all is good :)

Looking for suggestions and or critique on my 1st porter recipe :ban:

Robust Porter
Efficiency: 80% BIAB used in my 10 gallon Igloo round cooler w/ 15 gallon pot for boil only I do not use bag in Boil and or pot
Style: Robust Porter
ABV: 5.34%
SRM Color: 22.83 SRM MOOREY (software approximates color, The color doesn't seem to hit all the SRM styles, but I know that what you see on computer screen is not exactly the color you get . Wort tends to be a shade or 2 darker in real life)
Bitterness: 27.65IBU

Fermentables:
Lbs/ oz Type percentages
base Malt: 8.5 lbs Pale 2 row 81.8%
Head retention: .31lb carapils 3.0%
Body+Sweet+head: .26lb American Crystal 40L 2.5%
Body+Sweet+head: .26lb American Crystal 80L 2.5%
Color+flavor: .42lb American chocolate 4.0%
Color+flavor: .52lb UK Brown 5.0%
Color: .125lb UK Black patent 1.2%

Hops: pellets/ single addition
Amount: 1.5 oz Williamte AA:5 - @ 60 min Boil

Mash thickness: 1.55qts
Temp: 154 F for 60 min mash in
mash out: 170 F
Yeast: Wyeast 1056 or Wlp001

fermentation Chamber: freezer and Johnson temp controller with sensor insulated against carboy

Well so let me know what you guys would change or keep and why...

Thanks everyone!!!

That seems completely reasonable.

I really like brown malt in porters. If it was mine, I usually use 10-15%. If you havent used it before, 5% is certainly noticeable. Also I like a bit of fruit esters in my porters personally, I usually go with a english yeast or a bit of 120L instead of 80L. But thats all taste preference, what you have there looks like it will make a reasonable porter.

That seems completely reasonable.

I really like brown malt in porters. If it was mine, I usually use 10-15%. If you havent used it before, 5% is certainly noticeable. Also I like a bit of fruit esters in my porters personally, I usually go with a english yeast or a bit of 120L instead of 80L. But thats all taste preference, what you have there looks like it will make a reasonable porter.

Thanks for the Brown malt suggestion!!
lets see how this turns out :)

Thanks so much for the reply :mug:

2nd the brown malt suggestion. Personally, I'd up the gravity and the IBUs. Doesn't seem very robust to me. I just did one with an 1.065 OG and IBU closer to 45.

yeah I guess its you want a robust porter vs porter the difference would be like 1%abv and an extra hop addition or so. Either way it should turn out alright

I'm currently drinking my way through a very tasty Robust Porter batch. I closely followed Jamil's Black Widow porter recipe, the extract with grains version:
http://byo.com/yeast/item/2506-robust-porter-style-profile

If I were you, I would bump the chocolate and black malts up to Jamil's level (more like 3/4LB chocolate and 1/2LB black) as I don't really think their flavors are too aggressive in my batch. I usually think porters just have too much roasted malt flavor but find Jamil's recipe pretty well balanced. You will end up with a brew that is nearly as dark as a stout though.

I fermented with London Ale WLP002 and still hit the specced FG of 1.015, but I did give my fermenter a couple of good swirls after the first week to get yeast back in suspension because WLP002 has a reputation for quitting early.

I did a side-by-side tasting of my batch with Meantime Naval College Old Porter (it was the only English Robust Porter I could get my hands on at the local bottle shop) and here are my tasting notes:

Clean, with some light coffee notes. Very mild tasting and quaffable when cold. Coffee notes come out better when warmer. Maybe too dry for the style.

Tasted side by side with Meantime Old College Porter. Meantime had a much maltier nose and sweeter flavor. Better head on pour but not much retention. Only slightly lighter than mine. I doubt it has much black malt if any. Definitely more Crystal and maybe more Chocolate malt than mine.

If made again, maybe another full pound of specialty malts would be in order (mostly Crystal).

I'm gonna up the abv and the SRM and hops and repost it here stay tuned

Thanks for your input I'm using to do the above :) cheers !!

Back