how long shall i wait?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yellowpinky

Reaction score
I've just had my nelsons revenge at 22-24c for 24hrs and have now moved the keg to 16-18c....(This temp may drop to 14/15 overnight is this ok?).How long shall i wait to have a little snifter as i do want to sample it as its my 1st brew but also want it to taste good?.Cheers

Sounds like it's just a couple days old. No sense in tasting it just yet. 16-18C would be great for the ale yeast.

Not too early to taste the hydrometer sample after getting the numbers. Good to know how the beers coming along. Good info to keep in mind as you progress in this obsession.:mug:

I've just had my nelsons revenge at 22-24c for 24hrs and have now moved the keg to 16-18c....(This temp may drop to 14/15 overnight is this ok?).How long shall i wait to have a little snifter as i do want to sample it as its my 1st brew but also want it to taste good?.Cheers

You keged your beer after only 24 hrs in the fermenter? Perhaps something is missing from your post. I should ferment for at least 3 weeks to clean it self up and produce all the alcohol it's gonna give you.

Hi,no i fermented for 8 days as from day 5 it didn't change from 1.014..on the box it says 4 to 6 days fermenting,,,should i disregard this and ferment much longer,if so will do on the next brew..

So if i leave it that long i'll get the best abv available?
How many times would you check it over this time as i like leaving it alone...i mean check as in take samples with the hydrometer or are there other checks..

After the 4-6 days the kit recommends, it's done producing alcohol as you showed with your gravity reading. The additional time is to improve taste and clarity as the yeast clean up after themselves and everything falls to the bottom of the fermenter.

So if i leave it that long i'll get the best abv available?
How many times would you check it over this time as i like leaving it alone...i mean check as in take samples with the hydrometer or are there other checks..

Right, as gelatin said, the abv won't continue to get higher after the 4-6 days, but it will clarify as more of the floaties will drop out

Ahhh so when i asked about the remnants floating on the surface and being told they were yeast rafts then if i leave to ferment longer these will move to the bottom giving me a cleaner brew when i syphon..

Yes, basically everything that floats around in wort will eventually sink and fall out with time.

Ok i'll allow 3 weeks this time,thats good really as i can ferment now and don't need to rush and get another keg...thanks for replies as its good to pick info up,,,great forum this..

Back