Adding cinnamon to the secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jacksonbrown

Reaction score
I have a Pumpkin ale in the secondary. It just got transfered after 2 weeks in the primary. I'd like to give it a bit more of a cinnamon kick as that part seemes to be lacking a bit. OK, not OK? Do I need to boil it up before pitching it? Anything else I should know?

I made a pumpkin barley wine using this method and it turned out great. I added some to the primary and when I transferred it to the secondary it needed more flavor so I added more. The good thing is it's already sanitized so it could go right in. If the spices are ground to fine it could clog the filter so if you grind your own make it coarse if not it just takes more time to filter.

With my pumpkin beers, I used to make spice tea and add it to the secondary or keg. Boil your spices in about 8oz of water and then add them as necessary. Then you can taste along your way to make sure you don't over-spice. If you are bottling, wait until your last day or two in secondary before adding the tea...

Back