I Have Hops!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pr0vidence

Reaction score
I was unsure if I would get anything this year, but I looked at my plant this morning and what do I see? 25 or so cones forming at various sizes! I'm going to have a harvest this year!

The picture isn't very good, but the cones are still fairly clearly visible.

hops.jpg

Here is the original size picture, for those who might want a closer look, 56k be warned.

http://www.boomspeed.com/pr0vidence/house/hopsbig.JPG

HORRAY! now I guess I need to invest in a vacuum sealer or some sort.

It's kinda hard to tell. Do they feel "papery" or are they turning brown at all? If so I'd harvest them. Also, crush one in your hands or split it open and take a whiff and look at the lupulin glands, you know, the double-yellow-line-on-the-road yellow part at the base of each petal. I know I'm in dire need to get my harvest picked and dried. I was going to yesterday but got bogged down trying to fix my trellis. Nine bines make for a pretty heavy load.:rockin:

I haven't actually gotten a close look yet, I just noticed them today. I'm going to have to break out the ladder and climb up there, as there are no cones close enough to the ground to reach unaided. really just those pictured up on the top. We'll see.

Back