Any one else using Arduino, DS18B20 sensors & Processing as GUI?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reg5x

Reaction score
Hi All, I am starting a new thread on my automated electric brew build panel utilizing Arduino Uno R3, Dallas DS18B20 digital temperature sensors, connected to PC by USB with Processing IDE (Open Source as well) as a GUI on the low voltage logic side. The Arduino switches two discrete SSRs on the 240VAC high voltage side with separate heating elements 3800/4500 watts for HLT, RIMS and kettle. I am not going to get into the wet end unless you are interested but I am utilizing TIG welded kegs with Brewers Hardware sanitary fittings.

There are pictures of the panel, heating element fitting, and overall build attached below.

I have successfully used Arduino and Processing code to send serial data to Processing to generate a dumb temp output GUI showing two separate temps, relay set points and relay states.

My problem is with the virtual control knob generated with the controlP5 library in Processing sketch but I am asking for help getting it to communicate back to Arduino to control temp set points. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, very new to coding. I have the brewing process, hardware and wiring down but lack experience with code. Thank you in advance.

Is anyone out there also working with Arduino and Processing?

Reg

018.jpg

024.jpg

034.jpg

I decided to scrap the Processing GUI and go another route. I bought a Arduino Yun and am now using the iPhone Blynk app for remote communications with my iPhone. I can now interact back and forth between the Blynk apps GUI and the Arduino Yun. What made this very easy was making virtual pin assignments. Arduino Yun writes temp etc to virtual pins that Blynk pics up on. In reverse, Blynk writes set points to virtual pins that Arduino pics up on. I can now interact fully with the Yun by phone alone, no PC needed for anything but sketch upload and console (serial monitor) starting.

If you are interested i will post the Arduino Yun code...still using two (2) DS18B20 digital sensors, currently testing my beer/cider/wine fermentation chamber and draft fridge and reporting two separate temps, one on the jacket of my fermenter and one in the air space of the air conditioner controlled chamber her is a pic of the wiring :

Yun.jpg

I have an Arduino controlled brewery with 3 DS1820B's, 3 SSR's (2 heaters and a pump), and a processing gui that lets you control everything and monitor temps, etc. I can send you my code if you want.

You connect your PC to the arduino via USB, open processing. The temp sensors are read by the arduino and it sends that data to processing via serial. Processing decides if it needs to turn on any heaters based on the gui temp set points, and turns the SSR's on or off accordingly. The pump is turned on or off in processing with an on off button. I have a MLT set point for sparging, and a MLT set point for mashing which averages the MLT out temp and the HERMS HX out temp. You tell it whether you are sparging or mashing. Then the kettle is just on or off and you can scale the power from 0 - 100% with a very low frequency PWM signal. (like 5 or 10 second cycles).

Let me know if you want my Arduino or Processing code I'd be happy to share, even though you scrapped that idea.

I am developing a firmware replacement of ArdBir.
The user interface and functionality are almost like ArdBir, if not the same. It runs on ArdBir hardware, with some hardware configuring. Arduino, DS18B20, buttons, LCD, buzzer, heating element and pump controlled by Relay. What else do we need for brewing?

"Why bother?" you might ask.
Wireless connection.

I wanted to extend ArdBir by adding wireless capability and found that I could not easily modify the original ArdBir code to accomplish my goal. I ended up re-writing the code from scratch. However, since I am not good at designing user interface, nor do I know better way to control heating element and pump, I decided to mimic what ArdBir does in user interface and heating/pump control.

I almost finish the Bluetooth part, and an iOS app is ready to release. However, I haven't used it to brew because I currently don't have kettle/heating/pump parts. Therefore, it is not ready to be released.
I am going to buy a Grainfather in this shopping season to use with this modified ArdBir. I will update to you when it's done.

Here is a video that Apple requested for APP review. It shows how it worked on my development platform.

https://youtu.be/L7-Ymt2KGAk

It's more a concept proof than a complete product. The APP is very primitive. However, completing the APP as a full blown brewing APP might take too much time. (I have to admit that I feel bored about that.)

Last edited:
I have an Arduino controlled brewery with 3 DS1820B's, 3 SSR's (2 heaters and a pump), and a processing gui that lets you control everything and monitor temps, etc. I can send you my code if you want.

You connect your PC to the arduino via USB, open processing. The temp sensors are read by the arduino and it sends that data to processing via serial. Processing decides if it needs to turn on any heaters based on the gui temp set points, and turns the SSR's on or off accordingly. The pump is turned on or off in processing with an on off button. I have a MLT set point for sparging, and a MLT set point for mashing which averages the MLT out temp and the HERMS HX out temp. You tell it whether you are sparging or mashing. Then the kettle is just on or off and you can scale the power from 0 - 100% with a very low frequency PWM signal. (like 5 or 10 second cycles).

Let me know if you want my Arduino or Processing code I'd be happy to share, even though you scrapped that idea.

I'm interested in your code, even if he isn't!

Thanks for adding to the conversation. I've been busy on other fronts but i have managed to get another hard cider in the pipe. This time a blueberry apple and its delicious. I had to work some kinks out in the Arduino Yun and Blynk IOS app but i have finally have a stable and reliable GUI with Blynk. I really appreciate keeping tabs on my fermentation chamber / keg fridge temps while away from home. Below is an picture of my Blynk GUI. Let me know if anyone else has used Blynk. I can adjust temp and dead zone from my phone and monitor status of separate heat and cool relays. Monitoring both the air space in the chamber and a insulated jacket on the keg.

Mattoak - I would definitely like to see your latest Arduino and Processing code. Blynk is great as a simple GUI but i'm sure i'll eventually need the versatility of Processing for hot process.

Blynk GUI.PNG

I am interested in this as well. Nice build on the e-brewery! I bought a couple of the same relays years ago and haven't built anything with them yet!

I like the look of the remote interface for your chamber temps as well. Have you seen brew pi? I have that running now. Built a while ago, but still running!

My current brew just went in last night.
ru9lKgy.png

I've wired up a couple of heat sticks and plan on using them for prototyping using pwm with the arduino. I will probably try and make a simple interface with a setup similar to brewpi's. Arduino controller and raspberry pi running the web interface. The blynk route looks promising as well.

Thanks for contributing Hambonez, i have not looked at brew pi but the interface looks very promising. I am continuing to develop my fermentation and refrigeration chamber with Arduino Yun, two SSRs and Blynk app. Below is a picture of the hardware in its current configuration.

Again, I am utilizing Blynk iphone app for communications to Arduino Yun. Blynk now has historical graphs which makes viewing up to four virtual pin assignments easy to view in one hour up to three month charts, very handy! One week (second image below) shows how i have been chilling latest cider and stout batches with setpoint and deadzone adjustable remotely by phone over the last day.

Cheers all and Happy New Year!

IMG_0318.JPG

IMG_0316.PNG

This is just what I've been banging my head to do! Started this coding Arduino lark last week so allot of learning! Ive only managed to get blynk turning on/off my relay and reading temp haha. Any chance of sharing the code??

Thanks for contributing Hambonez, i have not looked at brew pi but the interface looks very promising. I am continuing to develop my fermentation and refrigeration chamber with Arduino Yun, two SSRs and Blynk app. Below is a picture of the hardware in its current configuration.

Again, I am utilizing Blynk iphone app for communications to Arduino Yun. Blynk now has historical graphs which makes viewing up to four virtual pin assignments easy to view in one hour up to three month charts, very handy! One week (second image below) shows how i have been chilling latest cider and stout batches with setpoint and deadzone adjustable remotely by phone over the last day.

Cheers all and Happy New Year!

Thats really slick! Can you make fermentation schedules with it?

Update - I now have live pressure monitoring and volumes CO2 calculated (quadratic - using constant Henry coefficient) on my Arduino Yun - Blynk app!...check out the image below...note that PSI & VOL CO2 on trend chart are skewed up so they are in the range of temps...

Liamwooley - send me a private request and I will share my code, I put way too much work into it to make it public

HollywoodMX - I have been thinking about programming in fermentation schedules, funny you should ask. I just fermented a lager and manually used Blynk to ferment from 54 down to 34 over two weeks (with a 66 diacetyl rest in between) and thought it would be better to have it automatic but the code is going take some time to develop, stay tuned its on my list

IMG_1227.PNG

Would love to see how you are pressure monitoring? Nice work!

Yes please! Most interested in interactive GUI and sending receiving data to/from Arduino with Processing.

Currently using only Arduino for everything but want a better UI.

:mug:

Back