First AG – Questions and Concerns

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rudeboy

Reaction score
Just did my first AG. :ban: An American Blonde. A simple recipe I got from another thread. I did it inside. I purchased a turkey fryer but the 46 quart pot I got ended up extending over three of my gas burners on my stove and I was on kid patrol today so I decided to try it inside. Seemed to work OK.

It looks like beer (wort) so that’s good.

Couple of issues. I got Beer Smith. (Love it. Course I’m a techie guy so…) The recipe had a Mashing temp of 153 F. It had a temperature from my HLT of 159 F which seemed low. And every thread I read seemed to say people had problems reaching their strike temperature. So when my HLT was at around 170 F, I just turned off the heat and left it open for a bit. I’m not sure what the temp was when I doughed in but it resulted in 160 F in my MLT. I left the top off the MLT but it just hit the 153 F at the one hour mark.

Also I don’t have an immersion cooler (Is there a good link to building one?) So I tried to cool it with successive baths in a rubber tub. It took over an hour to cool to 28 C at which point I said F—it and pitched some dry yeast.

So the questions are .
1. I realize it’ll still be beer at 160 to 153 F in the MLT but how will the taste differ? Any off tastes to look for?
2. Will letting it cool for over an hour affect it in any way? Other than threat of infection? Less cold break precipitate?
3. Will pitching at 28 C change it in any way?

Also I purchased a Corna style mill and as I adjusted the “stone” it either failed to even dent half the seeds or when I minutely adjusted it it turned it into something approaching flour. In the end the grain bill looked like steel cut oatmeal. It didn’t gum up my MLT and the wort turbidity looked close to what I was getting in my Brew House kits. So how fine do you grind it? I’ve heard just so the grains are cracked and I’ve heard so small you’re scared.

Thanks

Rudeboy

Short quick answers, if you need more info then just ask but I'm sure others will expand.

1. I realize it’ll still be beer at 160 to 153 F in the MLT but how will the taste differ? Any off tastes to look for?
The higher the mash temp the lower the fermentables the more maltier the beer. (less ABV as well)
2. Will letting it cool for over an hour affect it in any way? Other than threat of infection? Less cold break precipitate?
DMS increases over time with hot wort.
3. Will pitching at 28 C change it in any way?
You should be okay

Plus.... Well done on the beer.:mug:

Back