Labeling Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beerhead

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure this is a newbie question, but since I am a rookie, its ok.

Is it ok for me to use plain computer paper? Because it seems to me that it wouldn't work at all, considering its probably going to get wet. And if I shouldn't use computer paper, what do you guys suggest in the way of labels, and ordering labels.

Also, what type of computer programs do you guys use to make your labels? Thanks.

You can use plain computer paper and rubber cement, a glue stick, elmer's, or even milk to adhere them. If you use an inkjet, you need to "set" the ink somehow, or it will run as soon as it gets wet (even from glue). A quick hit of clear polyurethane from a spray can works well. Laser printers don't have that problem.

I've definitely used plain old computer paper before, but I agree with Yuri in that you have to look out for ink running due to the adhesive. One product you might try to find to fight (not solve, just fight!) this is Blair Spray Fix. It is adailable at art and architectural supply stores.

I kind of got sick of a lot of the peeling, cleaning, and unavoidable running with regular papers so (before I switched to more "permanent" solutions) I ended up making nice "tags" on some cover stock/inkjet printer and hanging them around the neck with a string. It definitely looked nice and there was significantly less cleanup/label removal worries. Bottling is a paint in the <bleep> anyway, scraping off labels was just too much!!!!!

Back