anyone own this Refractometer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have that model -- it is awesome and a must-have tool when I brew. 6+ months of usage and never has needed recalibration and it is as accurate as my hydrometer. Just remember it's not for measuring final gravities.

Hydrometer for FG.
Refractometers are useless in alcoholic beverages.

I prefer the dual scale version, this way you don't have to covert Brix to Gravity.

why cant you measure final gravity? what do you use?

When alcohol is present, the refractometer reading is inaccurate.

I use the refractometer to monitor fermentation just like you would with a hydrometer. When you get 2-3 days of the same reading on the refractometer, you know fermentation is complete since the gravity isn't changing. Then I go in and measure with a hydrometer to get the 'true' final gravity. I've seen batches where the refractometer's FG reading is +0.20 off from the 'true' hydrometer measurement.

That way, I only lose one hydrometer sample of beer instead of two or three.

iPhone app that will do the corrections for FG. Just need to know your OG to be able to make the calc. Apps name is BrixCalc, plus many spreadsheets you can use. Is it as correct in all gravities as your hydo? No, but close enough for me.

ah ok thank you, i use a hydrometer now, but sometimes its really hard to get a good SG reading bc the foam on top of the beer
bc i take the reading after i aerate

If you go on Aliexpress you will save your self some money and you will get the bigger read out, about $25 free delivery

Refractometers are great for brewing - mash efficiency, pre-boil volumes, no waiting for a sample to cool way down, before making an adjustment - a drop cools quickly. A refractometer and Beer Smith, and you'll be able to tune your numbers, add water or keep boiling...as needed for your target OG.

Back