Re-brewing airlock overflow

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lakebrewer

Reaction score
Yesterday I brewed a monster Imperial Stout with a gravity of 1.13 and Nottingham yeast. This morning it had filled half a gallon of overflow, so I increased the bucket size to a carboy with half a gallon of water. By late afternoon the carboy had 2 gallons of overflow liquid in there!

So, I didn't want to waste the overflow and decided to turn into a blackberry stout by adding 3-4 lbs of thawed and slightly cooked blackberries. I also plan on putting some oak and Jameson in the secondary for a full flavor. Kind of like bourbon county bramble rye...hopefully.

Has anyone ever recreated a brew from overflow before?

I had a small sanitation worry, but there was always a 2 inch foam layer, so I think the CO2 should have kept it sealed for the few hours.

Thinking outside of the brew kettle here...

Nice improvisation. Good luck.

What was the temperature of the wort/beer. I suspect it was high, and you might find a lot of fusels, needing lots of time (months) to condition.

I rarely get more than a few ozs of blow-off (generally none), so don't worry about the loss.

The wort was at about 75-80 degrees ( room temperature). It could be the reason, but there is not much I can do to control with the facilities. Also, it was just a monster high gravity brew.

Do you know if the overflow is made of something different than wort (I.e. Is it more just alcohol or does it contain more byproduct?

Back