Wyeast 3942 fermentation temp

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

katy_bug

Reaction score
I brewed my first saison on Sunday using the Lawnmower de Saison recipe from Midwest. I made a 1L starter with Wyeast 3942 for 24 hours and pitched at 78F and then brought it down to 68F in the fermenter where it has been holiding steady for the past 4 days. It was bubbling hard for several days. The krausen is gone but it is still bubbling pretty consistently.

I was thinking of swirling the carboy and bumping up the temp a little. Should I leave it alone? I haven't found much info about this strain of yeast.

why'd you pitch before bringing the temp down? also, to make a saison you need a saison yeast, 3942 is a wit yeast. i'd raise the temp either way, 68F is a lil low to keep it at the whole time for anything belgian

Well . . . I pitched at that temp because I was following the directions on my kit, which said to pitch at any point below 90F. I used 3942 because it came in the kit. This is my 3rd brew and I am still learning. I didn't think 68 is extremely low because the yeast profile says fermentation temp range of 64-74F.

Well . . . I pitched at that temp because I was following the directions on my kit.

most kits give terrible advice. its always best to pitch at or below your fermenting temp. thats weird it came with the 3942, it won;t quite give you saison characteristics, but it'll be fine nonetheless. 68F isn't low per say, but with belgian strains and esp saisons, you want to ramp up the temp after the first 24-72 hours to really force the yeast characteristics and help dry it out. id bring it up to around 75F if you can

Back