sweet smell during bottling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alh5300

Reaction score
I'm new at this. just bottled my first batch of Sierra Nevada clone extract and it smells sweet like apples. Is this normal? OG 1.052 FG 1.014.

The smell of apples is common to young beers because of acetaldehyde. Let it age, open a bottle a week to see if its gone.

alh5300 said:
I'm new at this. just bottled my first batch of Sierra Nevada clone extract and it smells sweet like apples. Is this normal? OG 1.052 FG 1.014.

More info: was this an all grain or extract batch? What yeast did you use? What was your fermenting temperature? What hops?

Generally, you don't want that scent... But there could be reasons for it.

More info: was this an all grain or extract batch? What yeast did you use? What was your fermenting temperature? What hops?

Generally, you don't want that scent... But there could be reasons for it.

extract, california ale yeast, ferm temp 67 to 70, hops 8 oz carapils, 2 oz perle, 2 oz cascade.:tank::tank:

alh5300 said:
extract, california ale yeast, ferm temp 67 to 70, hops 8 oz carapils, 2 oz perle, 2 oz cascade.:tank::tank:

You could be a few degrees cooler on the ferment, but everything else looks ok ... Except I've never heard of carapils hops ... Only malt.

My guess ... Just give it more conditioning time. The acetaldehyde will condition out, as its a prelim step for most yeast alcohol production. Ideally you would have bulk conditioned ... But bottle conditioning should work.

This is why it's good to give the beer another 3-7 days after FG is reached to clean up & settle out clear or slightly misty before bottling. The extra bit of time allows the yeast to eat up those off flavor producing compounds as it settles out.

Latest posts

Back