Garden hose bad for beer!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Willie3 said:
Pretty soon you can enjoy lead in your Hershey's Chocolate. Yup Chinease bound Hershey!!!

- WW

Did you know that chocolate kills dogs willie? Also hoses are estimated to have killed or not killed over a million bazillion people!!!!

Are you going to take that lying down??? Have another paint chip willie, it will all be OK.

Willie3 said:
Wow! Not an advocate to using or promoting the use of contaminated product but man, I think our society is so overboard with this stuff. I drank from the hose when I was a kid. I swam in a pool filled from a hose. I ran through sprinklers using water from hoses and wow I am still alive and well!

I love how people use the argument "well, it was fine when we/I was a kid." Just because something was done one way when we were children doesn't mean it was done the right way - just that our parents/society didn't know any better.

It wasn't common practice to have your children in car seats, most people didn't see a problem with smoking around their children either, or to wear a helmet when riding a bicylce, but you can bet that if I can make my child just a little bit healthier or a little bit safer (as small as it might be) with a very simple and inexpensive act, I'm certainly going to.

srm775 said:
I love how people use the argument "well, it was fine when we/I was a kid." Just because something was done one way when we were children doesn't mean it was done the right way - just that our parents/society didn't know any better.

It wasn't common practice to have your children in car seats, most people didn't see a problem with smoking around their children either, or to wear a helmet when riding a bicylce, but you can bet that if I can make my child just a little bit healthier or a little bit safer (as small as it might be) with a very simple and inexpensive act, I'm certainly going to.

When I say as a child, I'm talking less than 15 years ago. I'm pretty sure they ahven't put MORE lead into hoses int he past 15 years.

98EXL said:
who wears a helmet on a bicycle?

I wouldn't be seen in anything else!

naked_bike_rider_GT.jpg

98EXL said:
who wears a helmet on a bicycle?

Depends on where I am riding. If I am just riding to the corner store or other paved areas I don't but if I am out on the local trails I do.

Ó Flannagáin said:
When I say as a child, I'm talking less than 15 years ago. I'm pretty sure they ahven't put MORE lead into hoses int he past 15 years.

So I assume that you will smoke around your kids? Hell it didn't kill too many people.

It was OK when some of us were kids.

Listen folks, it has been fun. Half of us see the others as wreckless, the other half see us as anal alarmists. Cool! It takes all kinds and obviously all of us are some kind of right stubborn bastard!

I hope everyone's brews taste good....(even if they are full of little bits of toxic garden hose..lol)

This thread is getting way off topic.

Most people that use a hose, use some measure to reduce off flavors or lead risk, including: running off the still water, to marine grade hoses, to water filters.

That wasn't so hard was it?

cheezydemon said:
So I assume that you will smoke around your kids? Hell it didn't kill too many people.

It was OK when some of us were kids.

Listen folks, it has been fun. Half of us see the others as wreckless, the other half see us as anal alarmists. Cool! It takes all kinds and obviously all of us are some kind of right stubborn bastard!

I hope everyone's brews taste good....(even if they are full of little bits of toxic garden hose..lol)

That has absolutely no relevance to what I said in the quote you have there.

I apologize "O", by that point I was feeling pretty cynical. I don't care what you all do!!! To each their own. I am even going to brew a "Garden Hose" stout, with a slightly chunky mouthfeel and just the right hint of lead.......

Sorry! I can't help it. I really just thought that the hose might effect flavor. Is that so wrong?

I also thought that the added lead (or whatever ) might explain some "off" flavors that some are having. Thought you all might want to know.

I honestly harbor no ill will towards anyone here. I apologize about the comment "O", you are right.

Willie3 said:
Wow! Not an advocate to using or promoting the use of contaminated product but man, I think our society is so overboard with this stuff. I drank from the hose when I was a kid. I swam in a pool filled from a hose. I ran through sprinklers using water from hoses and wow I am still alive and well!

I can understand flushing the hose from the stagnant water, but c'mon, drinking from hoses is not life threatening!

I wonder what standing water in pipes under basements that have high concentrations of radon might do to your body? Or the water treated from a plant with too high concentrations of chlorine? What about how chocolate causes breast cancer in women?

I know this is a leap but next thing you know everyone is using germ/bacteria killing soaps and sanitizers only to improve the fittest germs and bacteria (MRSA) which is hard to tame with the strongest of antibiotics.

Yes I did eat paint chips as a child.

- WW
+1 :D ...

Just can't resist posting on this topic.....

The entire thread really illustrates the entire concept of "hazard" vs. "risk".

The hazards associated with lead poisoning are immense.

The risk (i.e. probablility) of a significant lead exposure associated with with the occasional drink from a garden hose is very slight indeed.

Considering the concept of hazard vs. risk is always an interesting one whenever discussing topics such as terrorist attacks, driving in a car, or dietary choices.

To your point drayman.

You can mitigate risk.
Sometimes mitigation strategies have a high cost.
Othertimes, the cost is neligible.
When it low or neligible, it pays to use such strategies.

Ideally, you strike some sort of balance.

drayman86 said:
Just can't resist posting on this topic.....

The entire thread really illustrates the entire concept of "hazard" vs. "risk".

The hazards associated with lead poisoning are immense.

The risk (i.e. probablility) of a significant lead exposure associated with with the occasional drink from a garden hose is very slight indeed.

Considering the concept of hazard vs. risk is always an interesting one whenever discussing topics such as terrorist attacks, driving in a car, or dietary choices.

SORRY! but "an occasional drink from the water hose"??? I thought we were talking about ENTIRE BATCHES OF BEER!

my bad.:drunk:

cheezydemon said:
A recent study reported in The New England Journal of Medicine suggests that lead levels in the blood even lower than the current definition of toxicity may adversely affect a child’s IQ.

this could explain alot for some people i know.

Cheesefood said:
From How To Brew:

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Cleaning Brass
Some brewers use brass fittings in conjunction with their wort chillers or other brewing equipment and are concerned about the lead that is present in brass alloys. A solution of two parts white vinegar to one part hydrogen peroxide (common 3% solution) will remove tarnish and surface lead from brass parts when they are soaked for 5-10 minutes at room temperature. The brass will turn a buttery yellow color as it is cleaned. If the solution starts to turn green and the brass darkens, then the parts have been soaking too long and the copper in the brass is beginning to dissolve, exposing more lead. The solution has become contaminated and the part should be re-cleaned in a fresh solution.
[/FONT]

I thought Brass was an alloy made from Copper and Zinc? :confused:

I used an aluminum pot before I bought my Keggle, I use a garden hose sometimes (flushed), or get the water straight from the outside faucet.

sometimes I use inside softened filtered water (my system drops the water to 16ppm... the average bottled ater is at 60-80ppm) I have never really noticed any difference in taste. I have one recipie that uses distilled water with burton salts added to match the brewery water of the clone.

This is just like aluminum brew pots. It isn't going to kill you, to each his own.

To me worrying about stuff like this reduces my quality of life

wow... I must really be in bad shape... I run TWO 100' hoses to the garage for brew day...

I'm not saying it's bad to avoid what you can when you can, but "when I was a kid..." Look, we've all got stories about this or that. We all have concerns about our beer and how well it will turn out. There really is a simple fix to all of this. The standard home water test kit. Most home depots stock them on the shelf. It will help you test for all sorts of stuff. And if that isn't good enough, you can (as a taxpayer) ask your municipal water supply management folks to come out and test at your tap (or the end of your hose) with the big boy toys.

End the argument for yourself... get it tested and then you will know..... you ARE killing everyone with your garden hose lead lined arsenic added double aluminum sludge porter

Seabee John said:
End the argument for yourself... get it tested and then you will know..... you ARE killing everyone with your garden hose lead lined arsenic added double aluminum sludge porter

Black Death Porter :rockin:

I guess it does make sense to change to a different grade of hose, I mean why take anymore risk then necessary.

lol we drank and played with hoses all the time when I was a kid. Nothing wrong here.

skgnfva'dslbn'ebdsMBsdF:BMdfbmd'mbd?>Bvm,dbmndb;

MikeFlynn74 said:
lol we drank and played with hoses all the time when I was a kid. Nothing wrong here.

skgnfva'dslbn'ebdsMBsdF:BMdfbmd'mbd?>Bvm,dbmndb;

No! I am sure that there is nothing wrong there. What are just a few IQ points when all is said and done? And it would never seem like anything was wrong.:confused:

That's the terrible thing about Hell,
You could be there, and not even know
- PHISH

This thread is hilarious.

Nothing like some garden hose tap water to rinse down those tasty lead paint chips.

Im still alive and kicking.

cheezydemon said:
SORRY! but "an occasional drink from the water hose"??? I thought we were talking about ENTIRE BATCHES OF BEER!

I will guarantee that I have consumed so much water from a hose (still do) that my beer consumption may (sadly) never catch up. Having read your posts, I realize that it was probably a bad idea. If I had only abstained from the evil hose, getting a degree in physics would probably have been much easier... As far as beer goes, the garden hose poses a much bigger risk of bacterial infection than lead poisoning.

Now, off to the global warming forum to debate that agore guy...

pldoolittle said:
I will guarantee that I have consumed so much water from a hose (still do) that my beer consumption may (sadly) never catch up. Having read your posts, I realize that it was probably a bad idea. If I had only abstained from the evil hose, getting a degree in physics would probably have been much easier... As far as beer goes, the garden hose poses a much bigger risk of bacterial infection than lead poisoning.

Now, off to the global warming forum to debate that agore guy...

Lol, well....you might remember what's up next in your sig if you had those 2-3 IQ points!!

How about we make a bet on the global warming thing too, if you are wrong, you have to send me 2 cases of your lead heavy beer!lol

Latest posts

Back