Draft Boxes HELP please

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am going to build a draft box I need it to have 4 taps. what do you think. can you all give me some input and ideas on the best way to go about doing this.
Cheers:mug:
JJ

No-- he means a draft box or 'jockey box'--- a cooler you fill with ice to chill beer JUST before it hits the tap.

The biggest problem with making a 4 tap jockey box is space. You need at least 50 feet of coiled SS tube in the jockey box chamber to be able to serve at a decent rate. Getting 200 feet of tube (4 taps x 50 feet) into a 'normal' cooler is going to be damned difficult---- especially if you are going to try and put ICE in there too.

I'd suggest going with 2 coolers and buying stackable coolers and putting 2 taps in each.

I'd be able to give more specific advice if you helped me understand why a 4 tap jockey box your best solution to your problem? What is the problme youa re trying to solve?

Got it. I think you nailed it. I just have my kegerator as experience. All I can say is that the Ventmatic Ultra Flo faucets are great. Not cheap, but work fantastic.

kornkob said:
The biggest problem with making a 4 tap jockey box is space. You need at least 50 feet of coiled SS tube in the jockey box chamber to be able to serve at a decent rate. Getting 200 feet of tube (4 taps x 50 feet) into a 'normal' cooler is going to be damned difficult---- especially if you are going to try and put ICE in there too.
Not in this puppy. :cross:

p26455z.jpg

Maxcold 120 The Mother of all Jocky Boxes

Damn - it'll cost so much for 200' of SS or copper - if you dont have a source for that - consider a chest freezer. Or if you need to be away from electric - I'd make a few keg coolers from 60qt Igloo Ice Cubes - you can make a custom top in them that fits a corny - put corny into cooler w/ice - serve from picnic tap as normal. Walmart sells the ice cubes for 20 apiece. No way you can get the jockey box going for that...

But if you must build it - lay a bunch of SS tubing in coils (4 sets) into the cooler - drill through back side on cooler to run line into eah ss tube - drill 4 holes on front on cooler for taps just like a fridge conversion (or the cheap way way connecting picnic taps out the front). It actually should be really easy but expensive.

Last night was the first time I've seen a jockey box. Are those coiled lines easy to clean?

Reason why I ask, someone at the party we were at (fundraiser for a hospital) got a nasty mold slug in her drink. She was one of the first to have a beer poured for the night from that tap. I didn't have the nerve to tell her what it was. I said it was likely something that was in her glass before the pour.

Now why cant I use copper I know its expencive as well but I would imagin easier to work with.
I do like EDs input about the plastic I wonder how well that would work. Inefficent I'm sure but for the cost I could probably use 75' or more of 1/2" plastic each in the cooler Hmmmmm Might work. What size tubing do you all use???
Thanks for the input
JJ

fezzman said:
Last night was the first time I've seen a jockey box. Are those coiled lines easy to clean?

Reason why I ask, someone at the party we were at (fundraiser for a hospital) got a nasty mold slug in her drink. She was one of the first to have a beer poured for the night from that tap. I didn't have the nerve to tell her what it was. I said it was likely something that was in her glass before the pour.

Not hard to clean at all-- no harder than cleaning normal beer lines. The key is to clean the liens after every use. But you gotta DO it. If those lines spat out a funky lugie at the start then it is probable the lines were nasty through and through--- coated with a black funk from front to back.
You'd think a hostpital party would be more sensitive about sanitation....

Back