Volume and Gravity question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hamilt22

Reaction score
I brewed 10 gallons of BierMuncher's Centennial Pale yesterday. I have high, high hopes! But I have a (seemingly) simple question:

My starting volume and gravity were 13.75 gallons at 1.043. I ended up with I think about 11 gallons at 1.048. Can some one help me figure out my final volume?

On a related note, can some one recommend some good brewing software?

Thanks guys...

How long did you boil to boil off 2.75 gallons? :confused:

Did you have anything left in the BK when you went to the fermenter?

For software, I use BeerSmith.

Wow.. that does seem like a very high boil off amount. Not exactly sure what the question is either. What volume are you looking for?

As double also stated, Beersmith is the way to go. So many cool features in the program. I learn something new each time I'm in there. Definately download the free trial and it's totally worth the $20 to buy it once the trial's up.

he knows the gravity after boil, and is guessing 11 gallons. he wants to know if using the info provided can you get an exact measure of volume, rather than just guessing 11.

I'd say more like 12 gallons.

You concentrated your wort by about 12%, so you must have boiled off about 12% of your starting volume. 13.75 gallons*88% = 12.1 gallons

My starting volume and gravity were 13.75 gallons at 1.043. I ended up with I think about 11 gallons at 1.048. Can some one help me figure out my final volume?
If you're confident in the 13.75 @ 1.043 and the 1.048, AND if you didn't leave any wort behind in the kettle, you have:

13.75 * 43 / 48 = 12.3 gallons

Hey everybody, thanks for all the responses! Sorry if the question was vague.

JLem - I was thinking along those lines also, but I wasn't sure you could do that.

Everyone else - you're all right, I probably lost some in the bk (and the chiller). I forgot to take that into consideration. There's no way I boiled off 2.75 gallons...

Sounds like it's high time to get BeerSmith.

Thanks again!

I use a wide ass kettle, and I brew 5 gal batches. I have brewed off well over a gallon in an hour due to higher than necessary heat, and low and wide liquid distribution (more surface area for evap), but I couldn't fathom boiling that much.. Not unless it was at at raging boil, even then probably not.

Latest posts

Back