modified IPA recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joshtdavis

Reaction score
I made a IPA and it came out well, just not as hoppy as I would have liked it to be. I also wanted a higher gravity so here goes:

18 lb. 2 row
1 lb. Caramel 40 L
2 oz. Cascade pellets at start
1 oz. Williamette at 60 min
1 oz. U.K. Kent Golding at 128 min
1 oz. cascade at finish
Primary 1 week
Dry hop with 1 oz. Cascade leaf hops in secondary for 2-3 weeks

This will probably get me up to around 1.050-1.060 SG. What do you think of the hop additions? The last batch was very similar except no 1 oz cascade at end and no dry hop as well as 12.5 lb 2 row and 1/2 lb. caramel. This batch started at 1.045. Hop taste is strong up front but fades halfway through the beer and is replaced by more of a sweet taste.

I wouldn't leave the dry hops in there that long - I suppose 2 weeks would be OK, but any more than that and I think you'll get some grassy, vegetal flavors. I'd probably go more like 7-10 days.

Also, when are you adding the EKG (128 min!?)? And the Cascade pellets to start - is this a 60 min boil?

I would definitely breaks those hops up into 60min, 20min, 5min, and Dry Hop additions. Right now you're loading a lot into your bittering addition, and you're not going to get the full flavor you're looking for. As a quick recommendation, I'd just move your Goldings and Williamette out of your bittering addition and into a 20 min flavor addition.

quick reference: http://www.howtobrew.com/section1/chapter5-1.html

What size of batch is this btw?

I would definitely breaks those hops up into 60min, 20min, 5min, and Dry Hop additions. Right now you're loading a lot into your bittering addition, and you're not going to get the full flavor you're looking for. As a quick recommendation, I'd just move your Goldings and Williamette out of your bittering addition and into a 20 min flavor addition.

quick reference: http://www.howtobrew.com/section1/chapter5-1.html

What size of batch is this btw?

If I'm reading the OP correctly, the hop additions are already 90 (start), 30 (at 60), 2 (at 88), flameout and DH. I think you should move the Williamette add to 20 or 15mins as well though, you'll get more out of it. I'd actually consider mixing the UKG and Williamette (and maybe the cascade) together so you get a little of each at those late adds.

Also, I'd let it sit in the primary for at least 2 weeks.

Ahhhhhhhhh, count up rather than count down. Ok I'm good, makes much more sense.

Batch size would still be good to know, that's a good chunk of base grain.

Ahhhhhhhhh, count up rather than count down. Ok I'm good, makes much more sense.

Batch size would still be good to know, that's a good chunk of base grain.

haha ya it took me a few reads.

good question on the batch size, cuz those OG #s make no sense for 5g or 10g unless you're getting really poor or really great efficiency

its a 5 gal. batch. I just did a quick estimate off of my last 5 gal. batch using 13 lbs vs. the 19 lbs. now. I got around 70-75% Eff. on the last batch.

So you guys think that the Williamette addition will be better at 70 min, and add the 2 oz cascades at 30 min? Does boiling hops for over 60 min sort of defeat the purpose? If so I could reduce the boil time to 60-70 min and still add the cascades at the start of the boil.

also after reading the link, would the cascade flavor addition at the end of the boil overpower the goldings and williamette?

its a 5 gal. batch. I just did a quick estimate off of my last 5 gal. batch using 13 lbs vs. the 19 lbs. now. I got around 70-75% Eff. on the last batch.

So you guys think that the Williamette addition will be better at 70 min, and add the 2 oz cascades at 30 min? Does boiling hops for over 60 min sort of defeat the purpose? If so I could reduce the boil time to 60-70 min and still add the cascades at the start of the boil.

I think you have your notation reversed from the "standard" - the time given for when hops are added is how much time is left in the boil. So, if you have a 90 minute boil and add hops at the start, they would be a 90 minute addition. If you wait 60 minutes and then add more hops with 30 minutes to go, that would be a 30 minute addition. So, Williamette at 20 minutes means with 20 minutes left in the boil (70 minutes in), not 20 minutes in (with 70 minutes left).

13lbs in 5gals would give you about 1.070 at that Eff range, and 19lbs would get around 1.100. maybe you have a miscalculation somewhere?:confused:

I'd do the williamette 70mins in (20 left) and leave the 2oz cascade at the start. I'm not sure what you mean by sort of defeat the purpose by boiling over 60mins. if you mean for flavor & aroma, that's mostly all gone within the first 30 and 10mins of the boil respectively anyway. boiling over 60 mins will just continue to increase the bittering utilization of the hops, but it will be a minimal difference at that point so shortening the boil won't change much.

also after reading the link, would the cascade flavor addition at the end of the boil overpower the goldings and williamette?

the cascade and UKG adds at the end are mostly for aroma, your main flavor add is the williamette at 70mins in (20 left). however, I've heard folks here say williamette enhances cascade, so that along with your cascade dry hop and it will probably be the most dominant of the 3.

ok ill move the willi up a bit, i was thinking ill just throw 3 oz of cacade at start, then just dry hop with the extra ounce.

Back