MD spring brew day

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
...I'll probably have some comments on tweaking the graff recipe from the original here on the forum...

Alright, here's my idea. I'm treating Graff as a style, rather than a recipe (a kind of cyser to the beer world). With that in mind, I kind of wanted to brew this inspired by an eisbock. Big malty flavor and concentrate the flavor by freeze concentrating it.

Let me know if you'd like to stick to the forum version.

On second thought I may do that as an experimental batch. That one would take a while before it's ready, I'll still work up something close to the original.

I survived, but now I'm terribly disoriented. Good trick from HBT for simulating digital drunkeness.

I am really thinking out a big holiday ale, not so much for brew day, but more just to spitball with you guys. I want to use a significant amount of sweet potatoes in the mash, like 7-8 lbs. and brown sugar, but no spicing. I think I want an OG of 1080-1090, and all Brett C for the ferment. I am also thinking of rehydrating craisens in pinot noir and adding to the secondary, for like 6 months or so. Sound interesting or disgusting?

homebrew version.

it wasn't HORRIBLE...but it's one of those things that once you try it, you realize that it was a funny experiment and should never do again.

it wasn't MY experiment, but I did try it.

I am really thinking out a big holiday ale, not so much for brew day, but more just to spitball with you guys. I want to use a significant amount of sweet potatoes in the mash, like 7-8 lbs. and brown sugar, but no spicing. I think I want an OG of 1080-1090, and all Brett C for the ferment. I am also thinking of rehydrating craisens in pinot noir and adding to the secondary, for like 6 months or so. Sound interesting or disgusting?
sounds wierd! and why pino noir?

homebrew version.

it wasn't HORRIBLE...but it's one of those things that once you try it, you realize that it was a funny experiment and should never do again.

it wasn't MY experiment, but I did try it.

this is what i thin... id love to try it... but... better you than me :D

You guys are giving me pause, but I think I am still going to try it. I think the other elements (all-brett primarily) will help create a complexity and nice flavor profile.

I came to pinot noir for two reasons, first I think the complex flavors will compliment the target beer flavors (but I don't expect much to be detectable in the finished beer since there will be such a small amount used in the re-hydration). Second, the pinot noir grape is historically difficult to grow due to its high susuptability to diease. I think this little tidbit makes for an interesting component to a difficult beer.

Hey Al, did you have another beer geared up for the brewday? If not, any interest in splitting a moderately hopped lager?

I'd be down for that Ryan. Been wanting something refreshing and quaffable for the spring.

Let me know if you've got a recipe in the works or already established.

Well, I am darn sure not doing a decoction mash at a brewday, so at least a pound of melanoiden malt. Maybe some carapils and munich?

Hops could be tett an hallertauer. I would like to aim for ~30 IBUs

Well, I am darn sure not doing a decoction mash at a brewday, so at least a pound of melanoiden malt. Maybe some carapils and munich?

Hops could be tett an hallertauer. I would like to aim for ~30 IBUs

Sounds good to me. I think it'll be a fine lager.

Well, I am darn sure not doing a decoction mash at a brewday

Oh, come on now...you can do it!

:off: Thanks guys for helping me out with my first brew last month. I kegged it last weekend, and have been sampling almost every day since. Today it's finally ready. Great aroma, good lacing, and a damn fine English Ale overall.

I've had 5-6 so far tonight, and each one keeps getting better. This hobby is going to get me in thick trouble quick, I think.:D

Jay

Oh, come on now...you can do it!

Decoctions are cool. I usually do one with any german styled beer, but in Al's driveway, where I have never gotten my pump to function, is not one place I am going to throw down.

Jay, I think I am cool to stop by on Sun. I will call you Sat to make sure you are all cool and to run an idea by you.

Decoctions are cool. I usually do one with any german styled beer, but in Al's driveway, where I have never gotten my pump to function, is not one place I am going to throw down.

Jay, I think I am cool to stop by on Sun. I will call you Sat to make sure you are all cool and to run an idea by you.

one of these days im gonna do a decotion... i just use an lb of melanoiden if thats what I want!

The funny thing about decoctions, once you do one you start doing mini decoctions for random beers for temp raises/temp control. We did a 65G turbid mash, that was 400% more complicated than a decoction.

I think we'd be fine on decoction mashing a 5 or 10g batch, but when we were doing some 50g end volume (over 100g of strike/sparge water) - that was just crazy. You can't boil that and get it back into the mash tun fast enough with the kind of burners and kettles we were using.

I think we'd be fine on decoction mashing a 5 or 10g batch, but when we were doing some 50g end volume (over 100g of strike/sparge water) - that was just crazy. You can't boil that and get it back into the mash tun fast enough with the kind of burners and kettles we were using.

Seems to me, if you guys ever want to do that size batch again, talk to some local breweries about using their pilot system or something. Avoid pulling your hair out, or shoving your arm in to fix a stuck SS braid. :cross:

Back