Help with cleaning QD and tap.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zanemoseley

Reaction score
So how do you guys keep your taps and line clean? The problem I have is getting the tubing off of the barb on the shank to clean everything, I end up cutting it off which makes the hose shorter every time. Do you just flush the line and tap with sanitizer?

From what I have read most people do a clean in place by forcing water, oxiclean/BLC/PBW and then sanitizer through the lines. Use an empty keg for the solutions as you will be cleaning and sanitizing a keg anyway to go on the line. Then just pump each solution through with CO2.

So how often do you clean the lines/tap? Seems like doing it every brew would take forever but I guess not once you get used to it.

I think it depends how often you are killing the keg attached to the line. If the line sits there for 3 months with beer in it you are probably going to have to clean it more than a line where the keg is changed out after 2 weeks.

I probably go through a keg every 3-4 weeks. I'll keep an eye on it especially in the summer since the kegorator is in the garage for now and the residue on the tap would probably tend to get funky more quickly.

Back